"It must require bravery to be honest all the time"

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: "It must require bravery to be honest all the time"

Post by holsam_87 »

RussetDivinity wrote: 11 Jul 2014, 17:17
gali wrote:I think it must require bravery to be honest all the time, but Candor took honesty to the extreme.
I this was one of the points of the book, that each faction took itself to whatever extreme it could be. Dauntless took bravery to the extreme by becoming fearless rather than courageous; Abnegation isn't so much selfless as self-denying; Amity is peaceful even if keeping the peace requires drugging the population; Erudite prizes knowledge over all else; Candor took honesty so far that they didn't even recognize that small lies can be harmless or even helpful.

I think Dauntless is the braver of the two, simply because sometimes telling the truth can be a way of giving in. If the truth would harm someone, then it can be braver to lie. If I had to choose one of these two, I would probably choose Dauntless, because I'm a fiction writer and an actor by nature; I couldn't be truthful all the time. My being is set up around lies.
I agree with what you are saying. Honestly, I think I would choose Candor, mainly because I'm not likely to physically act and I can be very blunt.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

That saying may be true, but sometimes it goes too far. Also things are not always black and white even though we like to try to fit everything into this or that, so many other things play into what is truth and what is not. But it does take bravery to be honest when you feel a lie would be easier to tell.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I would like to like in a society of truth tellers of candor, but, I dont think it is practical in real world. It does take a lot of bravery to tell the truth.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Honesty require tactfulness. To be honest all the time you must also be humble. I think both factions required bravery, but how they were used showed true character, one of the reasons dividing I to factions doesn't work!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

holsam_87 wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 01:38
RussetDivinity wrote: 11 Jul 2014, 17:17
gali wrote:I think it must require bravery to be honest all the time, but Candor took honesty to the extreme.
I this was one of the points of the book, that each faction took itself to whatever extreme it could be. Dauntless took bravery to the extreme by becoming fearless rather than courageous; Abnegation isn't so much selfless as self-denying; Amity is peaceful even if keeping the peace requires drugging the population; Erudite prizes knowledge over all else; Candor took honesty so far that they didn't even recognize that small lies can be harmless or even helpful.

I think Dauntless is the braver of the two, simply because sometimes telling the truth can be a way of giving in. If the truth would harm someone, then it can be braver to lie. If I had to choose one of these two, I would probably choose Dauntless, because I'm a fiction writer and an actor by nature; I couldn't be truthful all the time. My being is set up around lies.
I agree with what you are saying. Honestly, I think I would choose Candor, mainly because I'm not likely to physically act and I can be very blunt.
I know it has been a while sense you posted here but I think White lies can hurt ,too. Would you want someone you know to go out in public in something that was less than fit for him/her? In the book if I had to keep something to myself that made me question everything, then I wouldn't be lying if I only told a few at a time!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I think that bravery could be found in all of the factions, but I do especially admire Candor. While Dauntless was essentially the most physically brave and most willing to do dangerous things, it was more of a reckless kind of bravery. On the other hand, Candor was willing to accept blame and harshness from anyone for their truths and was a far more open and intense kind of bravery.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Kathleen Wolfe
Favorite Book: The Hour Game
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathleen-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Kathleen Wolfe »

I think candor requires more bravery. Yes it would take guts to jump off a moving train and scale a sky scraper that's in shambles but it would also take quite an amount of bravery to be honest to someone you love or someone that is sensitive especially when you know they wouldn't like it. But of course you have to be tactful.
Atharva Joshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Atharva Joshi »

I think that being honest all the time requires you to be brave but also makes you cold and callous. However I think bravery is the backdrop of every honest action.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

Being honest all the time is certainly a brave decision, though perhaps not a very smart one. I value honesty a lot but sometimes you just have to consider people's feelings. But yes, usually, you do have to be brave to be honest.
Mwanyalo
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwanyalo.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mwanyalo »

If i am told to choose who is the best between Candor and Dauntless, i would choose to be like Candor. It is better to be brave at the same time honest because once the truth is revealed , you will be on the safer side.
siusantos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siusantos.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B01FJT7N4W

Post by siusantos »

I agree that it is hard to be honest, all the time. Sometimes, being honest means we can hurt the people we care about. Thus, I also agree that being honest requires bravery.
Qburpee317
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Qburpee317 »

I do believe it takes some bravery to be honest all the time. Do I believe that candor was more brave in this book? No, because even if it does take some bravery to be honest, it takes a lot of bravery to be able to stand up for what you believe in. With dauntless bravery is a part of their lifestyle, they thrive off being brave and being physically strong. Where as candor thrive off being truthful no matter what, even if it hurts. I could not live with being honest all the time. If I know the truth will hurt, I don’t always tell it right away, it depends on the situation. But also not all dauntless are brave, some may come off as brave but they are cowards, which is what people who are in dauntless are told isn’t right.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I do think that honesty often requires bravery. Like the quote in my signature says,
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -Oscar Wilde
I think that honesty often has repercussions that can be uncomfortable, so it is safer to sometimes fudge things a little bit. When we feel we won't have to suffer consequences, we're bolder.
Personally I don't think there is any one faction that's the bravest. I think it comes down to individuals. Sometimes even if it's brave to be honest, it isn't smart, so honesty isn't everything.
NovaFly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novafly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NovaFly »

Honesty often require bravery, but always being honest could be cruel. I wouldn't say either faction is braver than the other and I think we should strive for balance rather than hard and fast rules.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

To be honest all the time, there must be a level of bravery. Who's gonna be true to themselves at the price of society's scorn? Only a really brave fellow. Also, there's a certain degree of cruelty in honesty that only the most fearless people can deliver.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”