Reason behind the creation of the factions? Do they work?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
hollirm
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollirm.html

Re: Reason behind the creation of the factions? Do they work

Post by hollirm »

I think that the reason behind the creation of the factions was to create peace and harmony and to prevent whatever happened to the rest of the world, ever happening again. But, over the years, I think that this view or vision of what could have been, was corrupted and slowly became perverse. I think it might have worked better if a few members of each faction was apart of the government instead of one fraction.
lindac1_98
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindac1-98.html

Post by lindac1_98 »

The factions were created to keep like minded people together to keep all around peace. However, this is very unrealistic because most humans have some all the characteristics in each of us. If this were not true then people would not be able to choose a different faction at the age of 16. As it was clearly illustrated in the book, this type of society does not work.
bookreviewsbynoel

Post by bookreviewsbynoel »

Very Good question.
I would say that in the beginning the factions looked like they were working but when it got to the end i was wondering what would happen to all the other factions.
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

I don't think they work since they create a lot of differences in the society and sense of superiority and inferior complex destroys people mentally, emotionally and physically. If it were upto me, I wouldn't have to keep the factions but it was an interesting concept in the story ^^
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
unicorny07
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unicorny07.html

Post by unicorny07 »

The factions were created to keep society balanced and destroy conflict. They work to an extent, but not everyone is going to remain peaceful and follow all the rules. Eventually some one is going to rebel and more will eventually follow. I think factions were a bad decision overall.
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

After finishing the trilogy, I would say that the factions do exactly what they were set up to do. On the other hand, I do question the theory behind what they were trying to do.
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
krysgutz97

Post by krysgutz97 »

I think it was meant to keep domestic tranquility and to avoid or at the least limit the chances of corruption of power since the factions had little contact with each other. To be honest it reminds me of the Plessy vs. Ferguson court case and the whole "separate but equal" . Either way it never works, diversity is a strength not a weakness, which is what I think the book was trying to express.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

The purpose of factions is to keep everyone separated. If too many people are united, they could start a revolution. I think factions also allow people to focus on what they are good at and what they like. The downside of this is that they will never experience anything outside of what they enjoy. In that way, they really aren't challenged to be better.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
gatorgirl_823
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatorgirl-823.html
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam

Post by gatorgirl_823 »

The factions were created to use each person's best personality traits. This process, ideally, puts the best people in the best job position that fits their best qualities. People are much more complex than that though and thus the reason this type of society doesn't work out. You can't just make someone fit in a mold.
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam
steinhm
Currently Reading: The Silent Boy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinhm.html
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan

Post by steinhm »

toriborip wrote:I think its kinda like the Hunger Games books. They split them up to avoid rebellion... obviously it didnt work for that reason
I couldn't agree more with that statement. Obviously they don't work for several reasons. Dividing people only causes either bad blood or the desire to be a part of both. I think also because you're supposed to join the faction you have the most in common with that might also lead to some problems because you have too much in common with everyone else. It's obvious from our society that people who think different or who are different are what make our society work. Being stuck in a faction with everyone who is like-minded is only bound to cause issues and problems.

As you said, it didn't work in the Hunger Games and it didn't work here and it certainly wouldn't work in real life.
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan
MissJane
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missjane.html

Post by MissJane »

The factions were created by people desperate to stay alive and hopefully maintain order, so in a way I can understand why they were created. They wanted a way to keep the peace and put people in boxes where they could be controlled. Obviously the factions did not work as hoped, as with all dystopian societies because people aren't perfect. The world isn't perfect.
tracy19
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy19.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh

Post by tracy19 »

The factions were to create order and safety, but I think that goal was only achieved for a short while.
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh
BColeman
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bcoleman.html
Latest Review: "Burn for Home" by Ash Elko

Post by BColeman »

They were created to keep peace, but it seems like the peace can never be kept.
Latest Review: "Burn for Home" by Ash Elko
meganxxcooper
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meganxxcooper.html

Post by meganxxcooper »

toriborip wrote:I think its kinda like the Hunger Games books. They split them up to avoid rebellion... obviously it didnt work for that reason
That definitely makes more sense than what I had been thinking
courtney8847
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney8847.html

Post by courtney8847 »

I don't think that the factions work properly, which I think is presented by the evidence of the falling of the system at the end of the series. Even if the factions did continue, there will always be those who cannot fit into a single category and threaten the system, and people in each faction will always wonder what their life would have been like having chosen a different faction.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”