Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth
. While only Divergent
--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
- Posts: 666
- Joined: 04 Nov 2017, 11:22
- 2019 Reading Goal: 50
- 2018 Reading Goal: 48
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 77
- 2017 Reading Goal: 10
- 2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
- Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
- Bookshelf Size: 90
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
- Latest Review: You Can Totally Do This by Joy Tonbara Ikumoinein
I feel that the factions are simplistic, as they represent traits more than discrete personality types. Each person in that post-apocalyptic world should still possess some degree of bravery, selflessness, etc. -- all the so-called dominant traits that characterize members of each faction. Regardless, I think the book portrays quite accurately what will happen when people live in homogenous factions and fail to tolerate diversity.
- Posts: 2344
- Joined: 18 Feb 2018, 12:17
- 2018 Reading Goal: 50
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 150
- 2017 Reading Goal: 0
- Favorite Book: The Martian
- Currently Reading:
- Bookshelf Size: 177
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
- Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
- Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC
Well they needed a cross faction, faction for cleaning. Otherwise, who cleans a the toilets and does the laundry in Dauntless and Erudite? They would both consider it below them. If abnegation did it, Eruditers must have been desperate when they cut ties with them.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
- Previous Member of the Month
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 21 Mar 2018, 10:43
- Favorite Author: Dana Peters
- Currently Reading:
- Bookshelf Size: 149
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
- Latest Review: Letters From The War by Amanda Bryant
- fav_author_id: 154082
Fitting a whole society into different groups would be an impossible task. Not everyone is always brave, or honest, or happy etc, at all times.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.