Overall Rating and Opinion of Divergent

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.

How do you rate Divergent?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
5%
2 stars - fair, okay
11%
3 stars - good, recommend it
43%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
42%

Total votes: 194

aaa123
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa123.html

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of Divergent

Post by aaa123 »

A fantastic book to read.
leassymm
Favorite Book: Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by leassymm »

I honestly almost regret buying it. First time reading the series, it was ok. Second time, even worst. What is strange though is that if I think of it overall, the storyline was pretty good, the characters seemed human (not overly perfect or anything like that), and the twist in the third was... Completely unexpected. Sadly, the way it was done made me think of other similar books (such as The Hunger Games) too much, and seemed to be a never ending thing. If it could've been done in two books, maybe I would've liked it more, but it wasn't, and now it's on my shelves collecting dust. Sorry Roth, maybe next time.
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Post by BookWorm07 »

I enjoyed the experience of reading Divergent. It definitely has an amazing plot. The story was well narrated. I like the idea of having five fractions and each fraction having one special trait. But I think it would have been better if the story ended with just one book instead of making it into a series. I think the story was a bit predictable still it was intriguing. Four's character and his past were really well written and it was interesting to read but I did not like Tris's character because I sometimes felt like she was acting like a 14 year old rather than a 16 year old girl.
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I really enjoyed reading Divergent. The characters in my opinion, were very well developed. Trish, I absolutely loved her and sympathized with her character. If I had to choose, I am unsure which faction I would have chosen. Believe it or not I am just now getting around to seeing the movie. I am actually watching it tonight; I really do hope that I am not disappointed. I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. Let's see what rating the movie gets...
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
THWilliams82
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter Series
Currently Reading: Lord of the Rings Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thwilliams82.html

Post by THWilliams82 »

I thoroughly enjoyed Divergent, however I didn't enjoy book 3 and when i saw the movie (after reading all the books) this fact ruined it for me. Divergent itself was up there with one of my favourite books, fast paced, lots of action, just enough detail to keep you reading and wanting more. Tris is an interesting and unique character and I liked being in her head. I would rate it 5 stars.
Kaitlin Lake
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: The Vampire Academy Series
Currently Reading: The City Of Heavenly Fire
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-lake.html
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Kaitlin Lake »

I loved this book and would give it three out of four stars. It is a great read and kept me reading until I finished the book. The book has lots of action, interesting characters, and it is fast paced but I loved every word. :D
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

Divergent was decent. It had an interesting concept, and I loved how they played around with the different Factions and how there could be different definitions of bravery. And Tris was an interesting character. I wasn't in love with it, but still. Overall a very good book.
That said, I have yet to read Insurgent or Allegiant and I hope they will be equally good.
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

I enjoyed this series very much and am glad that the whole series was out by the time I picked it up. I can't stand to have loose ends and prefer to read a series in its entirety rather than wait for the next book release. I thought Veronica Roth did an amazing job writing this story and have recommended it several times over. I wish as usual that I hadn't seen the movie because as usual so much was left out that it wasn't very satisfying.
It is better to have loved and lost, than to be married to a psycho for the rest of your life.
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
exquisitelyL
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-exquisitelyl.html

Post by exquisitelyL »

I read the first few pages and it was so much like Hunger Games that I put it down.
Cher N Words
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cher-n-words.html

Post by Cher N Words »

What I really enjoy in a book is its ability to transport me to another moment, time, life, world. I really love that feeling of being so engrossed in the story that by the time your stomach or bladder starts grumbling and look up from the book, you feel a bit disoriented and for a split second can´t even recognize your own room. This book didn´t disappoint. I simply loved it.

Veronica Roth does an excellent job of describing an alternate world filled with laws, organizations, rebellions, and responsibilities. The world she envisions is not so unbelievable. It is a possible truth to the future of our own world if certain events come to pass. Although, I could´ve done without the romantic relationship that transpires between Tris and Four. In my view, the storyline would´ve been just as effective if they became best friends. To me, there wasn´t any reason for the romance.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the book and am heading out to obtain the second in the series. :D
DalekPrideParade
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalekprideparade.html

Post by DalekPrideParade »

I have just added this book to my list of 'books to read', I can't wait.
scquarantillo
Favorite Author: rachel vincent
Favorite Book: Forever by Judy Blume
Currently Reading: Undead to the World
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scquarantillo.html
fav_author_id: 4455

Post by scquarantillo »

I finally read this book and I am currently starting book 2! I really loved the main characters and their struggles they faced. I am a huge fan of this book and I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't already read it, since I am late to join in on the fun. 4 stars!
mangitangi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mangitangi »

Although Veronica Roth is a great writer, there is one thing missing for me to like this book: an original plot.
I have read so many of these "chosen one" type books and this one wasnt very different. So no: I did not like divergent. :(
Jenie
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenie.html
Latest Review: "Barnaby and Clare" by Derrick Alexander

Post by Jenie »

Divergent was a good story, but I felt that it wasn't original enough to impress me. For some reasons not known to me, writers of YA books are stuck in the dystopian phase. Perhaps it became the rage because of the success of the Hunger Games series, not sure about that. I tried reading Divergent with an open mind, but it was just a good read for me. Didn't hate it, but I wasn't excited about it.
The Greatness of a man is in the quality of his personality and in the effectiveness of his influence ~ Chris O.
Latest Review: "Barnaby and Clare" by Derrick Alexander
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

After reading the comments, I don't think I'll be rushing to read this book.
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”