Overall Rating and Opinion of Divergent

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.

How do you rate Divergent?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
5%
2 stars - fair, okay
11%
3 stars - good, recommend it
43%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
42%

Total votes: 194

RStone
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rstone.html
Latest Review: "Malevolent Shadows" by Abdul Sami

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of Divergent

Post by RStone »

I read the whole series and I liked Divergent best. Overall the series was pretty fast paced and engaging, a fun read… but I had some major issues with Tris and her martyr complex and the fact that the intellectuals are the villains. I have never experienced anything like that, as the well educated people I know tend to be, you know, more open minded and kind than those who are less educated. And as I work in academics, well….
Latest Review: "Malevolent Shadows" by Abdul Sami
cittin5
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cittin5.html

Post by cittin5 »

When I read Divergent it took me a few weeks to get through the book and that is unusual for me. I can usually get through a book in a few days, but with this one it just didn't catch my attention like other books have. To me Divergent was too slow it felt like the book would never end. I couldn't even get through the first chapter of the second book, I had to stop there.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Unfortunately, the films have completely put me off this series for now. I think I'll give them a try in the future, though; I like dystopian fiction. I just wonder whether it will be as good as people say it is ...
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I gave this book 3 stars. I read Divergent because of the recommendation from a friend. I did really enjoy it, but I made the mistake of seeing the movie first. I know, total rookie mistake.

I love Tris. Her adventure in this novel is a thrill for any reader. I really believe almost anyone can relate to Tris' want to appease her family and still be true to her own heart. Tris' voice is probably my favorite thing about her. She is strong, but she is not cocky. She knows what she must do, and she does it. She is a wonderful female lead.

The one thing I really like about this novel is that the romance aspect seems to take a back seat to the big conflict. In a lot of YA books, the romance aspect takes center stage, and the female protagonist becomes a silly girl. This does not happen to Tris. Four does not run over her or control her. He helps her, and he makes her character stronger.

Overall, I really liked Divergent, but I did not love it. I think it is a bit too focused on setting up the book series, and it does not fully develop some of the minor characters.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I loved Divergent. I thought it was well written and the characters were easy to enjoy and connect with. There was enough action in it to make it exciting, and there was a good love story involved as well. I would definitely recommend Divergent to others. In my opinion, the first book is far better than the other two books in the series. I would definitely read this one again though, in a couple of years.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
gatorgirl_823
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatorgirl-823.html
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam

Post by gatorgirl_823 »

I enjoyed "Divergent" - I would give it 3 out of 4. The first book in the series (in my opinion) is the most solid and I enjoyed Tris and thought she was a strong female lead character. I also was very happy that there was not a love-triangle, I get so tired of those in today's YA books.
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

kio wrote:I loved the characters, the plot, and story. Of course, I found the book better than the movie. As far as dystopian novels, so far I like this one the best from the ones that I've read. The writing style was unique, the story line was somewhat plausible, and the mix of action and dialogue seemed balanced.
I've been hesitant to read Divergent because I couldn't even finish the movie...I fell asleep. Books generally are better so I should probably give it a chance.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
queenmab75
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queenmab75.html

Post by queenmab75 »

This book was INTENSE. I'm not usually a fan of dystopian fiction, but I really enjoyed this one. You could feel the tension of each character, especially Tris. Once we enter the realm of Dauntless, the tension just gets higher and higher until the conclusion. Sometimes I'll begin a series and never finish it due to lack of interest, but this one caught my attention, so much so that I immediately bought the next two books so I could finish it!
steinhm
Currently Reading: The Silent Boy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinhm.html
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan

Post by steinhm »

I really liked Divergent. I have to say that I didn't think I would, but my cousin recommended and she said I absolutely had to read it so I decided to give it a go.

I think the fact it was so alien to me and the whole concept was just bizarre it was fascinating and really drew me in. I really got to know the characters and got really into it. I didn't LOVE it but I would certainly recommend it. I haven't read the rest of the series so that's something I would like to do.

I would recommend it though if you're into those sort of dystopian society books. It was definitely action packed.
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan
BookWormGirl92
Favorite Author: L.J. Smith
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormgirl92.html

Post by BookWormGirl92 »

My overall rating is 4 out of 4 stars. The characters were so detailed and amazing that I had to love them! The author really knew how to pull in the reader. I couldn't put this book down. I loved the fact that the main hero in this is a girl. Girls are mostly viewed as being helpless and almost all the time having one role as being a damsel in distress. People need to get their girl on!
agarganeous
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by agarganeous »

I very much enjoyed the Divergent series. Once I finished the first book, I had to get the rest. I don't always get into books based on what may happen in the future but this series really had me on my toes and I could not put the books down. It was refreshing to read of a female heroin beating back the odds to stay alive and save the people she cared about. Each book in the series had me going "what next?!" as more and more things began coming to light.
roxy1234
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by roxy1234 »

The book was good, I didn't think it was the best thing in the world but it wasn't that bad. I thought the book Four was better, which is Fours perspective of Divergent and before he was in Dauntless. I liked the idea of the book, but I thought it was dragging on a little will Tris was in Dauntless.
Nicolettebabycakes
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicolettebabycakes.html

Post by Nicolettebabycakes »

I very much enjoyed reading Divergent! It was a great book of a young girl who finds out that she's very different from most of the people in the society that she lives in. All the action kept me entertained,and all the vivid imagery kept my imagination going and on. It was a very great book and I really want to read the next 3 books in the series!
MissJane
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missjane.html

Post by MissJane »

As one of the fans of Divergent, I would highly recommend this book to others. The fast paced story really pulls you in and makes you want to keep reading. The characters are very well developed and complex; Roth does a great job of making you invested in the characters. Her writing style is simple, straightforward, and thoroughly enjoyable.

On top of this, Tris is a great role model for everyone! She shows selflessness, bravery in the face of great odds, she shows what it means to overcome your fears. Tris is self-confident, but she is not cocky; she is rather humble. She is a loyal friend who would go through great lengths to save her friends.
Thesaurus Rex
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesaurus-rex.html

Post by Thesaurus Rex »

I am really looking forward to reading this book! I just need to get it from my library! If they would just have it, already....

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”