Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth
. While only Divergent
--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
- Posts: 1550
- Joined: 18 Feb 2018, 12:17
- 2018 Reading Goal: 50
- 2017 Reading Goal: 0
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 142
- Favorite Book: The Martian
- Currently Reading:
- Bookshelf Size: 133
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
- Latest Review: Shepherding Cassie by Michael Oborn
- Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC
- Location: Solihull, UK
Probably Candor because they get good food and work indoors and I’m completely unable to tell ,it’s anyway.
I would have preferred Amity, but couldn’t face the cold showers.
I probably wouldn’t get into Erudite
Abnegation, too much like hard work
Dauntless, join a faction that will throw you out to starve once you get above a certain age? No thanks.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
- Posts: 69
- Joined: 29 May 2018, 16:42
- 2018 Reading Goal: 50
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
- Currently Reading: Eleanor & Park
- Bookshelf Size: 32
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
- Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
I think I would have been born into Erudite and I would choose Erudite at the ceremony when I was 16. I love to learn new things and expand my knowledge, which is why I feel I would be in this faction. I would be lucky to not have to leave my family, which I appreciate because family is also really important to me.
- Posts: 907
- Joined: 15 Apr 2018, 23:16
- 2018 Reading Goal: 48
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 79
- Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
- Bookshelf Size: 283
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
- Latest Review: REAP: A Jack Forester Thriller by Frank J. Edwards
I think my family would be Erudite and I would be expected to follow based on my intellect. However, at the core of my being I seek peace so I would choose Amity in my heart. I don't know if I would have the strength to go against my family at age 16 though.
- Posts: 22
- Joined: 13 Jun 2018, 00:39
- 2018 Reading Goal: 24
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 241
- Currently Reading: Zeva
- Bookshelf Size: 65
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
- Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
At 16, I am quite sure I would have chosen Dauntless. However as an adult, I associate more with Erudite. This makes me wonder how successful a faction system based on character would be, especially as teenagers are often not the character they become as an adult. Unexpected experiences in their life may alter a character dramatically, and there's no way of changing faction!