Official Review: Of Snow by Rhón

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Of Snow by Rhón

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Of Snow" by Rhón.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rhon's Of Snow tells the story of Deneige Blanchet, a teenaged girl born and raised in Antarctica. Living in a research facility with her scientist mother, Deneige's life has been one of eternal winter and extreme isolation. A turn of events, however, reunites Deneige with her biological father and introduces her to life in "the North," the world beyond Earth's southernmost continent. In sunny California, Deneige is introduced to a new way of living that most people her age take for granted, yet is completely foreign to her. While she strives to adjust to her new life, Deneige is forced to come to terms with just how different she truly is from her peers.

Of Snow is a captivating story with a unique protagonist that stands out within the young adult genre. The author does an excellent job of blending Deneige's exceptional intellect with her naivete that leaves no room for inconsistency (not an easy task), and her status as the "new girl in town" plays well to the reader's sympathy. Most teenagers haven't gone through changes as drastic as Deneige's, but the author artfully blends her unique circumstances with more common ones experienced by people her age, resulting in a well-developed and realistic character.

One of my favorite aspects of this novel are the descriptions of life in Antarctica. The author describes the beauty and perils of the southernmost continent in sharp detail that provides the reader with a vivid picture of Deneige's experiences. Serendipitously, I recently reunited with an old friend who spent some time in Antarctica, and I was impressed with how closely the author's descriptions matched hers. Either the author has experienced Antarctica firsthand, or her research was very thorough.

The writing within this book is of the caliber that one would expect from a traditionally published novel. Virtually free of errors (I found only two extremely minor ones), the writing is excellent and combines with a solid plot for a truly enjoyable read. Of Snow is of the same quality as a book that one would purchase at a brick-and-mortar bookstore.

If it wasn't already obvious, I found reading Of Snow to be a pleasurable experience, and I give it 4 out of 4 stars. This book is a great fit for anyone who enjoys the YA genre, especially young women. However, I would also recommend it to people with an interest in Antarctica or anyone who enjoys learning about faraway places.

Of Snow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

What a fantastic review! Your writing style is awesome! Where did you learn to write like that? Thank you so much, makes me want to pick the book up straight away... I love the way you described how well the author portrayed the protagonist. Great job!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I've always wondered what it will be in Antarctica. I am definitely adding this book to my TBR list. Your review has also piqued my interest in it. Thanks
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

One of my favorite aspects of this novel are the descriptions of life in Antarctica. The author describes the beauty and perils of the southernmost continent in sharp detail that provides the reader with a vivid picture of Deneige's experiences.

I also want to visit Antartica. Thanks for a good review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love young adult. There's something about the simplistic yet beautiful nature of the writing that captures my attention. The setting on this one seems like it would be an added bonus as you don't see many stories take place in Antarctica. All in all, definitely intriguing. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I looked at this book a number of times before choosing others. I'm sorry I missed out, but glad that my instincts were on-point. Thanks so much for the lovely review.
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Anna Maria 86 wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 00:02 What a fantastic review! Your writing style is awesome! Where did you learn to write like that? Thank you so much, makes me want to pick the book up straight away... I love the way you described how well the author portrayed the protagonist. Great job!
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so glad that you enjoyed reading my review, and I hope that you enjoy the book as much as I did!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

T_stone wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 02:05 I've always wondered what it will be in Antarctica. I am definitely adding this book to my TBR list. Your review has also piqued my interest in it. Thanks
Thank you for reading this review. I hope that you enjoy the book!
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

nonamer_miss wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 06:23 One of my favorite aspects of this novel are the descriptions of life in Antarctica. The author describes the beauty and perils of the southernmost continent in sharp detail that provides the reader with a vivid picture of Deneige's experiences.

I also want to visit Antartica. Thanks for a good review!
You’re welcome, and thank you for stopping by! I would love to visit Antarctica as well.
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 09:45 I love young adult. There's something about the simplistic yet beautiful nature of the writing that captures my attention. The setting on this one seems like it would be an added bonus as you don't see many stories take place in Antarctica. All in all, definitely intriguing. Thanks.
I completely agree with you about the YA genre. Thank you so much for reading my review!
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

MsTri wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 11:36 I looked at this book a number of times before choosing others. I'm sorry I missed out, but glad that my instincts were on-point. Thanks so much for the lovely review.
Thank you for reading my review! I hope that you get a chance to read this book.
Keslerae
Currently Reading: Rionsod
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keslerae.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Keslerae »

How interesting, I know little to nothing about Antarctica. Although this is a fictional book it sounds as though it does describe this frozen continent quite well and even more incredibly, it actually sounds quite interesting. Thank you for writing such a thorough review!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I am immediately captivated by the beautiful cover. I would love to read about Antarctica. I wonder if this book would be helpful for teens struggling to fit in.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I usually don't like the cold, but you give a beautiful description of the scenes in this book. I like your description of the main character. Wonderful review!
lalakaren51
Currently Reading: Stillpoint
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lalakaren51.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by lalakaren51 »

What a unique plot and perspective. This seems like a book that a young adult could learn a lot from while enjoying a great read. Nice review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”