Official Review: Memory Walker by Carly Marino

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Memory Walker by Carly Marino

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Memory Walker" by Carly Marino.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever read a book where, though you were spending time watching TV with your significant other, you would sneak and read the book anyway? Have you ever stayed up late trying to finish a book, even though you had work or school the next day? For me, Memory Walker by Carly Marino was one such book.

Thea Scott is a high school student with an unusual gift. Whenever she touches someone, she enters their memories. After a breakdown in her freshman year, she tries to avoid touching everyone as much as possible. Now in her senior year, everything changes when the new student, Cole Conway, shows up. Her powers increase, but she also finds herself in extreme danger. The world is not as she thought it to be. Will she be able to get her powers under control? Will she discover who she really is? What does Cole have to do with any of it?

Memory Walker by Carly Marino is a young adult novel that I would further classify as science fiction. The book does contain a modicum of romance, but there is enough action to keep most wandering spirits mesmerized. Being that this book is for a teenage audience, it is mostly clean, despite its romantic leanings.

One of the things that really engages me in a story is realistic characters. In this young adult novel, even though Thea has special powers, she's a typical teenager. She just wants to be normal. She wants to go to prom and kiss a boy. In addition to the realistic characters, I enjoyed trying to figure out who was on her side. The line between good and bad was a bit blurred, which makes for greater enjoyment.

The book is written in first person, so we learn right along with Thea. I was captivated as I tried to understand what was happening with her. Obviously, since I couldn't put this book down, the author used this to her full advantage.

I must mention, as well, that the vocabulary is perfect for a young adult reading level. Even though there were words unique to Ms. Marino's world, she does a fabulous job helping the reader to understand them. I never felt confused or lost; they simply enhanced the mystery of the book.

As much as I loved this book, though, the editing did need a bit of work. There were missing words, extra words, and homophones littering the pages of this beautiful story. "Gate" was used in place of "gait," for example. Though I was able to look past them, they were plentiful and annoying.

I absolutely loved Memory Walker and happily give it 3 out of 4 stars. It is book one in a series, Inflexaen, and as such, did have a cliffhanger ending. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys young adult books with mysterious beings and extraordinary powers. If you don't like any romance in your books, though, this might be one to avoid.

Memory Walker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like a great addition to a high school library once the editing gets fixed.
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

It's always such a shame when a book has a great story but has grammatical, spelling, and technical errors. I hope the book gets the proofread/edit that it needs so it can reach more people!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

teacherjh wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 12:19 This sounds like a great addition to a high school library once the editing gets fixed.
You're right about that! I know many high school students that would enjoy it. Plus, I liked it as an adult.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

amybo82 wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 12:47 It's always such a shame when a book has a great story but has grammatical, spelling, and technical errors. I hope the book gets the proofread/edit that it needs so it can reach more people!
This is one that would be easy to fix. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

This statement "Thea Scott is a high school student with an unusual gift. Whenever she touches someone, she enters their memories." got my attention! It makes it seems as if one is watching a movie with an eagerness of what next.... Great Review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Anthony__ wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 13:09 This statement "Thea Scott is a high school student with an unusual gift. Whenever she touches someone, she enters their memories." got my attention! It makes it seems as if one is watching a movie with an eagerness of what next.... Great Review!
Thanks! I know there are many who would enjoy this one. I hope you decide to try it!
—Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I love books that grab my attention! I don't blame Thea for not wanting to touch anyone. That kind of a special power would be both a blessing and a curse!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Jessacardinal wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 13:32 I love books that grab my attention! I don't blame Thea for not wanting to touch anyone. That kind of a special power would be both a blessing and a curse!
It really is! I don't want to touch anyone most of the time, and I don't have Thea's gift. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

kandscreeley wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 13:42
Jessacardinal wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 13:32 I love books that grab my attention! I don't blame Thea for not wanting to touch anyone. That kind of a special power would be both a blessing and a curse!
It really is! I don't want to touch anyone most of the time, and I don't have Thea's gift. Thanks!

My personal space bubble is quite large as well. I don't have Thea's gift either, just for the record. :lol2:
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Skye45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skye45.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by Skye45 »

This sounds like an amazing read. You’re review sucked me in haha! However, I don’t enjoy romance :/ so I may not be able to make it through it..but still I enjoyed tour review
Karebear123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Karebear123 »

I agree, the connection that unravels in the book is surreal. It embodies many characteristics of science fiction which I love. It also contains many complex and intense situations that engage readers.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Skye45 wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 14:36 This sounds like an amazing read. You’re review sucked me in haha! However, I don’t enjoy romance :/ so I may not be able to make it through it..but still I enjoyed tour review
I don't know... you might still enjoy this one. It's clean at least. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Karebear123 wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 16:10 I agree, the connection that unravels in the book is surreal. It embodies many characteristics of science fiction which I love. It also contains many complex and intense situations that engage readers.
So, you've read this one? It was quite interesting. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Miss a tv program to read a book? Happens all the time! Your review is convincing me that this book is worth another missed tv show! Thanks for the intriguing review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”