The Indestructibles by Matthew Phillion

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

The Indestructibles by Matthew Phillion

Post by Jax14 »

The Indestructibles is a YA action novel that brings together a band of unlikely superheroes.

Doc Silence knows that the time has come once more. Evil has reared its head again, and he needs to unlock the powers in a group of kids who must fight together to bring an end to the evil experimentation that is taking place. The kids need to not only learn to use their powers but learn to work together, and as anyone knows, stick a bunch of teenagers together and that’s not always an easy task. Can a werewolf, a dancer, solar-girl, a flying boy and gravity-defying Emily stop arguing with each other long enough to defeat a destructive storm as well as other humans that have been turned into experiments? The world had better hope so.

I really had fun with this book. The characters showed a lot of the human side of superheroes and how they can doubt their decisions or miss their families. The experimentation done on the children was horrific as the uncontrollable evil powers that were thrust on them was hardly fair. Especially as many were not given the choice. I liked how the superheroes knew intrinsically they had these powers but learning about them and controlling them was a give and take fight. Doc’s history and the extent of his powers were fascinating, and I’m keen to see what will happen with him and the Lady.

There were a few editing mistakes like there and their being mixed up and capitals appearing in the middle of a sentence for no reason but nothing to slow the flow of reading drastically.

I definitely recommend this book that even adults can enjoy and am interested to see where the story is heading.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”