Official Review: The Mistakes We Made by Cierra Williams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: The Mistakes We Made by Cierra Williams

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mistakes We Made" by Cierra Williams.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Libby and Rebecca are sisters, but they could not be less alike. Rebecca fought hard to gain popularity at school and is the typical spoiled rich kid who thinks fashion and dating the football team's quarterback are the only important things in life. Libby, her younger sister, insists on cleaning the house to earn her allowance and wears baggy clothes that hide her figure...and her scars. Libby is about to start high school at the same school as Rebecca, but things quickly start to go downhill when Rebecca's boyfriend, Scott, starts paying more attention to Libby rather than Rebecca. Libby is over the moon, but terrified to think of what might happen if, or when, Rebecca finds out.

The Mistakes We Made is a YA novel about friends, family, and, as the title suggests, the mistakes that people make that affect their relationships with others. Each of the characters must take a deeper look within themselves when faced with the question of what they should do next in certain situations. The relationships between the characters create a tangled spider's web full of drama and disaster.

The author, Cierra Williams, has a simple writing style that sucks the reader in. The characters are stereotypical of YA novels but Williams takes the time to flesh them out, making them relatable. I found myself getting through large chunks of the novel at a time, partially because the plot was so action-driven that I was eager to learn what would happen next, and partially because the pages just seemed to fly by.

Unfortunately, there were many things I could not overlook. Although the writing itself was fine, there were many small errors and mistakes that I found just within the first few chapters. The book's formatting lacked tabs and spaces between the paragraphs, so sometimes it was hard to tell when a new paragraph had started and made it look like two people were speaking in the same paragraph, which was simply confusing. Also, the story's pace was very fast. In fact, I think everything happened within two or three weeks. Some of the actions the characters took to further the plot were unrealistic and unbelievable.

Although I think the book could be improved in a few ways, the message it sends is very important, especially for its target audience. The book includes a variety of sensitive topics such as self-harm, depression, rape, bullying, and suicide. It may be too much for some readers, but I think the ending of the book sent a great message regarding all of them.

Overall, the rushed pace and number of errors were a major turn-off for me and overshadowed the way Williams expertly wrote the characters' relationships and drama. Because of that I can only give the book 2 out of 4 stars. As it is, I would only recommend the book to people who enjoy dark teenage drama and want the story to cut right to the point. I would not suggest it to anyone who might be triggered by the sensitive topics listed above.

The Mistakes We Made
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely sounds like one that teenagers need to read; it has many important messages. It's too bad about the editing, but hopefully the author can fix most everything with another round of editing. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

Even though it's been years since I graduated high school, I never get tired of reading about sappy relationships with fictional high school characters. This story sounds like a typical "ugly duckling" narrative since Libby ends up attracting her sister's boyfriend, despite her low self esteem. I think a lot of teenagers can still relate to these stories because issues relating to friendship and sibling rivalry still happen today. I don't mind the heavy subject matter. Since the average teenager sees much more terrifying things on major news stations every day, I don't think they would mind either.
:character-ariel:
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

Although I think the book could be improved in a few ways, the message it sends is very important, especially for its target audience. The book includes a variety of sensitive topics such as self-harm, depression, rape, bullying, and suicide. It may be too much for some readers, but I think the ending of the book sent a great message regarding all of them.
 A YA novel about friends, family, and the mistakes that people make that affect their relationships with others. Although the book includes these sensitive topics, I'll check it out. Glad you enjoyed it; it is a pity for the editing, though.
Thank you for the lovely and well-written review! :tiphat:
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

i understand the hurdles that resulted in the rating of this book and i am grateful that the review did not shy away from the fact that it will be very informative to it's target audience. the title is straight forward and factual, the premise is appealing and i am sure young adults will learn some lessons from it. i just wish it was executed better.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”