Official Review: Melissa & Kasho by Camilla Chance

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: Melissa & Kasho by Camilla Chance

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Melissa & Kasho" by Camilla Chance.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Melissa & Kasho was written by author Camilla Chance. It is the late 1950s and Melissa is attending a finishing school in Italy, far away from her home in Australia. Even though she belongs to the upper class and has been raised to act as such, Melissa finds herself suffering under her parents' iron thumbs, forced to hide her weaknesses and unable to stretch herself to fit their mold. For the first time in her life, as she walks the streets of Italy alone, she finds herself able to make her own decisions with no one watching over her shoulder to scorn them.

Although she sometimes finds it hard to get along with the other high society girls in her classes, Melissa befriends an American girl named Daisy whose thoughts and very soul seem to resonate with Melissa's own. Daisy is certain that Melissa is meant to do great things, to bring peace to the world through her calling, but Melissa knows that at the end of the school year, she'll be forced to return to Australia and her awaiting cage, as well as a potential arranged marriage. What complicates things even further is her meeting with a man named Kasho -- a man who does not even exist on Earth, at least not physically. Kasho imparts his wisdom to Melissa through shared thoughts and out of body experiences. With his help, Melissa prepares to face her parents' expectations and pave her own path in the world.

Despite the title, this book deals with Melissa's other relationships more than it does her relationship with Kasho. They are made to be together, so there is little drama or growth in their storyline. He is simultaneously her guardian angel, father figure, and greatest love. However, the conversations Melissa has with him help to shape her decisions and the novel's overall plot.

I felt that this book had a lot of potential, especially in the first half of the book when the author was busy describing Melissa's background and how she had arrived at that point in her life. I was horrified by the way her parents treated her and amazed by how some of the characters around her acted, so I was quickly sucked into the book's worldview. However, once Kasho was introduced, I started questioning things. I had a hard time accepting their methods of communication, as well as the fact that he was, essentially, an alien. Kasho would start to explain their relationship, but usually sidetracked with a, "But that's not important right now."

Although I was dubious of Kasho's character as a whole, I enjoyed how his presence helped Melissa grow as a character and gave her the strength she needed. If she hadn't changed at all by the end of the book despite all of the life-changing events that had occurred to her, I would have been very disappointed. However, both the characters and storyline were very well-rounded, with everything coming to a satisfying conclusion. Although I had to take breaks in the second half of the book because what Kasho was saying went right over my head and made me feel like I wasn't smart enough to get the hidden messages in the story, I enjoyed the book overall. The editing in particular was superb, as I couldn't find a single mistake in the entire book.

Melissa & Kasho is a great story of feminism, rebellion, and love. I give it 3 out of 4 stars, as there were some parts that I didn't understand fully. Chance has a very artistic writing style that changes with the fluctuations in the characters' emotions. It is very unique. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy historical novels with plenty of drama and a little bit of "mystique" and the unexplainable. It is also full of philosophy and a bit of poetry. I would not be surprised if it becomes a classic one day.

Melissa & Kasho
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds unique. I'm just a bit unsure about it. Who exactly is Kasho? It sounds like it might get a bit too spiritual for me. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Zhariah
Favorite Book: The Chimera Vector
Currently Reading: Race to Refuge
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhariah.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Zhariah »

The fact that Kasho is an alien initially threw me, I was not expecting something like that from the title or book cover. However, it sounds like a great book and a compelling read. I'm glad that Melissa grew as a character throughout the course of the book, that always gives the book a more complete feel to it. Thank you for a wonderful review :)
Reigny01
Currently Reading: Triplicity
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Reigny01 »

:) As a new reviewer, I am inspired by your detailed, "onlinebookclub"-form review, so thanks for sharing. Also, you are very honest in it, and definitely intrigue me about this poetic author, Chance. Thanks again for your detailed, well-written review.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Sounds interesting overall, but I'm a bit tired of reading books with alien elements.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
JoLei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jolei.html
Latest Review: The Flower Girl Murder by Keith Hirshland

Post by JoLei »

This review piques my interest in the book, but also warns readers that they may not be able to relate to certain elements, depending on their beliefs/interests. It is a clear, well-written, and helpful review.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I am actually intrigued by the communication between Kasko and Melissa in this book. You (and others) seem to assume that just because he's not of Earth means he's an alien. You describe him as a guardian angel. Who's to say that he's not exactly that? Or at least a guardian spirit? That doesn't preclude the "greatest love" element to their relationship, I don't think. Overall an intriguing and interesting review. Thanks!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Based on your insightful review, I'm hooked. As soon as I can, I want to read this book.
:reading-4:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Ariel Lynn
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ariel-lynn.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Ariel Lynn »

Sounds like an interesting read. I am pretty picky when it comes to alien features and historical pieces so I'm not sure if I would enjoy the book. Your review is very well written and did pique my interest despite it not being a good fit for me.
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Kelyn wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 14:40 I am actually intrigued by the communication between Kasko and Melissa in this book. You (and others) seem to assume that just because he's not of Earth means he's an alien. You describe him as a guardian angel. Who's to say that he's not exactly that? Or at least a guardian spirit? That doesn't preclude the "greatest love" element to their relationship, I don't think. Overall an intriguing and interesting review. Thanks!
Actually it's been a while since I finished the book but I do vaguely remember him saying that his physical body is literally on another planet, but his soul is able to travel to Earth. Melissa evens remarks that his body is very humanoid despite not actually being a human. It's a very weird aspect of the book and something that I felt either needed more explanation or shouldn't have even been mentioned in the first place.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I was sold on reading this book until the mention of Kasho the Alien Man. Bummer!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds seriously intriguing; it's certainly unique that Kasho doesn't have a physical body. I will definitely place this on my to-read list. Thanks for the stunning review!
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

This sounds very strange and I can't decide if I like it or not. Thanks for the review! :tiphat:
Kindwarrior
Favorite Book: Melissa & Kasho
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kindwarrior.html
Latest Review: Melissa & Kasho by Camilla Chance

Post by Kindwarrior »

I read the book. I love Kasho. He is an 'alien' but he possesses a human heart so pure.
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

Hmmm ...I'm about to begin reading this book. I love the idea of Kasho communicating from another world. This seems to be my kind of story. Your review has me intrigued me even more. Will let you know more once I'm done reading it.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”