Official Review: The Suicide Project by Yazz Ustaris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Re: Official Review: The Suicide Project by Yazz Ustaris

Post by Bianka Walter »

Cecilia_L wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 13:37 It sounds like an intriguing premise for a book. Good point about the lack of antagonist and excellent review as always, Bianka!
Thanks, Cecilia! You don't realise how much you actually crave a good baddie until there isn't one...
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Ice dragon wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 20:40 It sounds dark, I'll probably check it out as I'm interested in the cultural portrayal of mental illness and suicide. It sounds like it may take the stigma out of the taboo.

Great review
That's a good way of putting it, but definitely not as dark as you would think. The lack of depth needed to attract a younger audience was apparent in the happy storyline :)
Thanks for commenting!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Cotwani wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 23:28 Who would have guessed from the cover and title that this would end up being a casual fun read? The presence of an antagonist always spices up things. I'm curious how the author succeeds in building an all sunshine and rainbows ensemble, that leads nowhere. Great review as always.
I know right? With suicide as a beginning - you would wonder how the author managed to make it so happy!
Thanks, Cotwani :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

gen_g wrote: 16 Dec 2018, 11:40 I love the sound of this premise!! I certainly agree with you that the lack of an antagonist makes for a lack of focus in the plot. Still, this sounds seriously fascinating, and I will try to pick up a copy asap. Thanks for the amazing review as always, Bianka!
Thank YOU Gen, as always, for stopping by :)
If you do read it, I hope you enjoy!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

kfwilson6 wrote: 16 Dec 2018, 23:07 What an interesting premise for a story. I can sew why you were anxious to read it. I am quite startled by your declaration that nothing really happens. I anticipated a story about people with talents derived from animals would be quite action-packed. And no baddies? Superpowers make superheroes so the can fight the baddies. What a letdown :(
I know! I'm really hoping the next book in the series delves deeper into the fun stuff :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Shrabastee wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 06:31 A succinct review of a book with an interesting premise! I would love to read this one. However, I am of the opinion that "every fantasy story needs a good, old-fashioned villain." Although that does not detract from the reading experience, I hope!
It doesn't detract - yet! I hope the follow up books have a solid baddie, though :)
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”