Official Review: The Suicide Project by Yazz Ustaris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: The Suicide Project by Yazz Ustaris

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Suicide Project" by Yazz Ustaris.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wanted a superpower? Specifically, one that comes from an unusual animal trait. Like, maybe, a shark’s ability to swim extremely fast, or a chameleon’s gift for camouflage? Teagan gets the once in a lifetime opportunity to have intricate animal talents bestowed upon her. Or, at least, a once in an afterlife-time opportunity.

Teagan, after having walked in on her fiancé sleeping with her best friend, feels like life is no longer worthy of her presence. She goes home, and in a flourish of self-pity, drinks a few shots of tequila followed shortly by every pill she can find in her house. This book, aptly named the Suicide Project, follows a government-sanctioned secret organisation that seizes young adults that have attempted suicide. The near-dead subjects are taken from hospitals without consent, and their family and friends are left thinking that they had succumbed to their injuries. Teagan wakes up with a new lease on life. New friends, new amazing abilities, and, most of all, the surety of never having to go back to her old life. The only question is, can she bite the bullet and thrive in this new regime?

The premise of this book is awesome. I was excited to read it the second I read the blurb. It did not disappoint. I enjoyed it up until the last page which, I should mention, had me raring to get the next instalment. The characters are all distinct and developed with care. I came to know every single person in the story, and I felt like I was standing in the group, participating. With a delicate subject like suicide, it’s very easy for an author to either push the boundaries of insensitivity, or go the other way and suppress the elephant in the room. Yazz Ustaris handles this topic with finesse and gives hope for second chances.

When thinking about the plot, it’s odd to note that nothing really happens in this book. Coming in at 352 pages, the book has more of a middle than a beginning and an end. Having said that, Ustaris has a way with words - keeping me entertained throughout. Even with nothing groundbreaking going on, there were always little details that kept the story going. The characters obviously played a huge part, and my interest in them was integral in my want to read on.

There is, however, one thing that is sorely lacking. An antagonist. This book is all sunshine and rainbows. Even with the depressing beginning, the story is upbeat and cheerful right the way through. Teagan reminds me of a camp counsellor. Her overly optimistic persona and almost irritating way of seeing the good in everything had me rolling my eyes a few times. There was no real conflict, or even a moment where I thought things might become turbulent. This is why a villain in a story is so important. Without one, the book seems almost incomplete.

After considering the pros and cons, I found that I still thoroughly enjoyed the Suicide Project. My need to get my hands on the next book is a testament to Ustaris’ great talent as a storyteller. There were quite a few errors littered throughout the book preventing a perfect rating. With that in mind, as well as the lack of a baddie, I come to a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

I feel a younger audience would appreciate this book. I would have put it in the young adult fantasy genre, had one existed on OnlineBookClub. However, any fan of superhero stories will enjoy this. It’s a fun, quick read that is easy to get into and hard to let go of.

The Suicide Project
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

It was said that Seinfeld was a show about nothing - and it was on the air for many years. Seems a lot can happen while nothing is happening! It sounds like this author keep the momentum going with character development. Great review, Bianka.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Seemingly an interesting sci-fi. Thank you for the detailed review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I read this before the program, and I think I enjoyed it. It's not extremely striking, but definitely worth reading once if you like sci-fi. Thanks so much for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I like the premise of the book. This seems to be an interesting read.

Thank you for the detailed review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

It sounds like an intriguing premise for a book. Good point about the lack of antagonist and excellent review as always, Bianka!
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

It sounds dark, I'll probably check it out as I'm interested in the cultural portrayal of mental illness and suicide. It sounds like it may take the stigma out of the taboo.

Great review
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Who would have guessed from the cover and title that this would end up being a casual fun read? The presence of an antagonist always spices up things. I'm curious how the author succeeds in building an all sunshine and rainbows ensemble, that leads nowhere. Great review as always.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I love the sound of this premise!! I certainly agree with you that the lack of an antagonist makes for a lack of focus in the plot. Still, this sounds seriously fascinating, and I will try to pick up a copy asap. Thanks for the amazing review as always, Bianka!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

What an interesting premise for a story. I can sew why you were anxious to read it. I am quite startled by your declaration that nothing really happens. I anticipated a story about people with talents derived from animals would be quite action-packed. And no baddies? Superpowers make superheroes so the can fight the baddies. What a letdown :(
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

A succinct review of a book with an interesting premise! I would love to read this one. However, I am of the opinion that "every fantasy story needs a good, old-fashioned villain." Although that does not detract from the reading experience, I hope!
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Eva Darrington wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 16:27 It was said that Seinfeld was a show about nothing - and it was on the air for many years. Seems a lot can happen while nothing is happening! It sounds like this author keep the momentum going with character development. Great review, Bianka.
Thanks, Eva! Good point about Seinfeld, and not only was it on the air for many years, but it thrived!
Thanks for commenting :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Sushan wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 19:20 Seemingly an interesting sci-fi. Thank you for the detailed review 👍👍
Thanks for stopping by, Sushan!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 08:53 I read this before the program, and I think I enjoyed it. It's not extremely striking, but definitely worth reading once if you like sci-fi. Thanks so much for the review.
That's exactly it. I feel like it was a good introduction to the entire series, but as a stand-alone book, it was not enormously memorable. Thanks for reading my review! :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Kajori50 wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 10:54 I like the premise of the book. This seems to be an interesting read.

Thank you for the detailed review.
Thanks for stopping by!
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”