Official Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stranded In The Wild" by Gary Rodriguez.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stranded in the Wild by Gary Rodriguez is a fast-paced and thrilling survival adventure. It is a perfect example of how one small move, one tiny misstep, can turn an exciting adventure into a life or death situation. 

Camp Arrowhead is an adventure camp for thrill-seeking teens. The camp's main attraction is the epic canoe trip down the Salmon River, also known as The River of No Return because of its swift currents. The first night at camp is Fright Night. The campers gather around a large bonfire as a creepy, cloaked storyteller regales them with tales of disembodied spirits that lurk about the camp at night. The scariest tale of all is the one about a flesh-eating beast known as Vexel. 

Vexel's legendary feeding grounds are only twenty-five miles down the river they plan to traverse by canoe the next morning. Historically, the stories of Vexel were as varied as the number of people relating them, as no one who had ever come face to face with the creature had lived to tell the tale. The only details long distance observers were able to agree upon were Vexel's enormous size, speed, and frightening appearance. Was Vexel real or only a creature of legend?

After a restless night's sleep, Savannah, Jade, Conner, and Rico find themselves teamed together for the canoe trip. Savannah and Jade had become fast friends after bonding over the way Jade's mother had literally dumped her out of the car and then sped away without even a wave goodbye, let alone a hug. Conner verbally bullied Savannah the first time he saw her, not realizing that she was friends with the girl he wanted to get to know. Conner and Rico found themselves as fast enemies after Connor showed himself to be a prejudiced bully towards Rico at the football game. Needless to say, their adult guide may have his hands full with this group of teenagers. 

There were only a few small issues at the beginning of the excursion which got sorted out quickly. The canoe trip was going fairly well considering that only two of the teens barely knew what they were doing and the other two didn't have a clue. They were traversing the obstacles fairly well, until one of them becomes slightly distracted. The paddle hits a rock and the end flings up, flying around to knock their guide unconscious. Shortly after, they take the wrong turn and find themselves in one life-or-death situation after another. The suspense, danger, and excitement did not ease up for more than a few minutes at a time until reaching the end. 

The character building was well done. Before the canoeing adventure, I had an understanding of the personalities of each protagonist. As the story progressed, the backgrounds and motivations of each one became clearer. By the end, I could feel the emotional bond between them. I have to admit to a little emotional bonding of my own. 

These kids went through situations that would affect the type of people they would grow up to be, if they survived. I was impressed by the amount of inner strength and fortitude the author bestowed upon them, or maybe I should say that he helped them find those qualities that were already there. They struggled with each other, the wilderness that seemed to want to destroy them, and most importantly they struggled with their perceived personal weaknesses. They learned of forgiveness (giving and receiving), self-reflection, teamwork, and how to work through fear to find the courage they needed to face the seemingly impossible situations they were facing. 

I like realism in my stories, and this one had plenty. My heart raced repeatedly at unexpected life-threatening situations. The only thing I had issue with was the idea of a reputable youth camp sending canoes of inexperienced teens to tackle such a dangerous whitewater excursion on their first time out, even adult camps don't do that. Even so, I found myself captivated. 

I give Stranded In The Wild 4 out of 4 stars. The narrative flowed smoothly and had me in its grips from the beginning. There were only a few missing commas and one misspelled word which did not distract from the enjoyment of the read. I almost missed the misspelled word, as it was spelled phonetically.

I recommend this gripping tale to readers who enjoy wilderness survival adventures. I also recommend it to anyone facing a difficult situation who needs a little moral boost, as the story illustrates that difficulties can be overcome. This would make an excellent movie. 

The book was written for young adults, but this older adult thoroughly enjoyed it. I would not recommend it for very young readers or anyone who is planning a trip to the wilderness for the first time. It could elevate apprehension for what should be a wonderful experience.

Stranded In The Wild
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Tiny_Turtle's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

Sounds exciting. But I don't think that it would fit my taste. Thanks for the review.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I agree, throwing kids in the deep end (literally) is a little far-fetched. But otherwise, this sounds like a super exciting book! I love young adult novels, even though I'm haven't fit the 'young' group for a while :)
Wonderful review.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
mthieus
Currently Reading: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by mthieus »

Nice review. it sounds honest and from a reader who took out his time to walk through it. Great job.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I enjoy young adult stories, and this one sounds like a non-stop adventure. I think it's one where I'd be shouting at the characters. I'll put it on my list. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Sounds like a great read. The character development appeals to me. Thank you for informative review!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Seemingly an interesting book. Thanks for the nice review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

After a long time, I have seen anything on wildlife survival. It surely would be a different read. Thanks for the mind-blowing review. I enjoyed it.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

"Conner verbally bullied Savannah the first time he saw her, not realizing that she was friends with the girl he wanted to get to know" when I read this part I just couldn't help say, Oh boy! Thank you for your detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

White water trips are typically done in rafts, not canoes. Even though it might be a little far-fetched, I'm sure that it still made a good story. Thanks for the thorough review. I'm going to check this out as a possible good read for my son.
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Sounds like a thrilling book for youngsters. But some thrilling adventures shouldn't be copied in real life. Nice review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A survival adventure YA book revolving around four teens stranded in the Wild sounds exciting. Who knew camping could be that dangerous? Good character building, good flow, and unexpected life-threatening situations make it a good read for YA. Not for me, but I am glad you enjoyed the book despite the minor errors. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

This sounds like a thrilling story. I think it will especially appeal to thrillers seekers who can relate to the characters.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

It's good how this story not only focused on the adventure part but also on the effect of such adventure on the characters.
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

I think doing characters right is the most important thing an author can create, because I can overlook a cliche or sub-par plot if the characters are done well, and you saying that you bonded with these characters makes me really excited about this book, and I like that each character has a distinctive personality

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”