Official Review: Kinfolk Hood Strategies for Attacking Ad...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: Kinfolk Hood Strategies for Attacking Ad...

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kinfolk Hood Strategies for Attacking Addiction" by Mark Hobbs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Addiction is a monster that attacks its victims ruthlessly. Many of the people who find themselves in the dark hole of addiction live a miserable life. The author of Kinfolk Hood Strategies for Attacking Addiction, Mark Hobbs, was once addicted to drugs and alcohol. He seeks to reach out to addicts across the world with a message of hope.

The book contains the strategies that he used to overcome his addiction. It consists of five chapters. In each chapter, he gives a detailed account of how a given strategy helped him to navigate through the rough waters of the stormy seas of addiction. The strategies have enabled him to stay away from drugs and alcohol for 12 years.

I loved the systematic approach that the author has used to lay out his strategies in the book. In the first half of the book, he helps the reader to understand what addiction is all about. He explains how addiction is anchored into one’s ‘will’, imagination, and feelings. In addition, he gives the tricks that helped him break the chains of addiction from his life. In the second part of the book, Hobbs gives the four secrets that helped him to prevent a relapse.

The strategies that Hobbs offers in this book are simple and easy to apply. He does not use heavy words that are typical to psychologists and counselors. Although I am not an addict, I could feel that even the die-hard addicts of the world could pick this book as opposed to books written by trained psychologists. Indeed, experience has made Hobbs a good teacher. A former addict, Mark Hobbs, pours his heart out to addicts across the world with a message of faith and hope.

I also enjoyed reading words from the Bible that are scattered all over the book. The author has used the scripture to support his points. He has done this without being judgmental. Through his thoughtful mindset, he tailored his message in a manner that does not impose his religious beliefs on the reader.

Unfortunately, this book is not professionally edited. It contains very many errors that distracted me a lot. I had to re-read some sentences to get what the author was trying to say. This forced me to deduct a star. Therefore, I give the book 3 out of 4 stars. Although the message contained in the book is great, the errors need to be corrected. I recommend the book to anyone who is struggling with any form of addiction.

Kinfolk Hood Strategies for Attacking Addiction
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jgideon's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad this is not professionally edited as it's a book that's sorely needed. Addiction affects so many. While I'm not one, I am curious what the author's techniques are. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

I don't think that it is my type of book. But I guess a lot of people would love to try it. Great review!
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

kandscreeley wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 09:59 It's too bad this is not professionally edited as it's a book that's sorely needed. Addiction affects so many. While I'm not one, I am curious what the author's techniques are. Thanks!
I agree with you that it's a book that would help many addicts out there

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”