Official Review: The Chronicles of the Virago: Book II T...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: The Chronicles of the Virago: Book II T...

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Chronicles of the Virago: Book II THE APPRENTUS" by Michael Bialys.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Makenna, her fairy guardians, and Fluffy the worm are back in the second installment of Michael Bialys’s fun and action-packed Chronicles of the Virago.

In The Chronicles of the Virago II: The Apprentus, Makenna Gold believes she’s all set and on her way to defending her twin siblings from any threat that will keep them from enlightening the world. When her school wins an award and Makenna is chosen to spend a three-week educational trip in China, her whole family goes, believing it will be an amazing adventure.

Little does Makenna realize all the dangers that await her there. Maldavo Seaton (bad guy extraordinaire) has an office for his company in China. Makenna’s father has been offered an opportunity to work there over the three weeks, providing the perfect opportunity to slip the twins into Seaton’s clutches. Meanwhile Ms. Creante, the demon Makenna injured in the first book, is out for revenge. With so many threats closing in, Makenna must protect her siblings, while balancing school obligations and air-combat training with Peter Pan himself.

I reviewed the first book in this series a few months ago. When I saw the second one was up for review, I snagged it. The first book won my heart, and I was beyond excited to see what adventures Makenna and her friends got into next. All the characters I loved from the first book are back, and a host of new ones are introduced. One of my favorites is the Grimm Reaper, who goes by Shecky. Far from the creepy guy you’d expect, Shecky is all kinds of adorable, wanting only to be a standup comedian and noting things he could post to his Deathchat account.

In terms of the adventure and Makenna, Bialys takes the second book from where the first left off and so much farther. After her success in the first book, Makenna is feeling pretty confident and a little smug, as any teen who’s discovered they’re good at doing incredible stuff might be. She gets a tough dose of reality, though, when she starts training with Peter. Suddenly, Makenna realizes she doesn’t know everything and that she could benefit from the knowledge of others. This point is shown beautifully throughout the book. It was amazing to see Makenna grow and mature. Her immediate frustration at Peter knowing things she doesn’t turns to a grudging respect and then a proud partnership. On her last day of training, Makenna gives Peter a hug when he cries about his past, realizing he never had a mother to offer him such comfort. This was a huge moment in her character’s development. Here the most, Makenna becomes an incredible role model for young readers, showing them that everyone has points of weakness. Some might be less visible than others, but when we hit on someone’s nerve, the thing to do is to be compassionate and understanding. I’m not embarrassed to say I was sniffling a little.

I really have nothing negative to say about this book. The only thing I would have liked to see more of was China. The bulk of the story takes place there, but except for a few moments when Makenna’s class is on an educational field trip, I didn’t get a sense for the setting. This didn’t damper my reading experience at all. From page one, I was hooked, and the ending left room for a sequel full of more growth and adventures.

Due to an abundance of errors throughout, I am forced to rate The Chronicles of the Virago II: The Apprentus 3 out of 4 stars. There are many missing words and punctuation marks, but this is literally the only thing keeping me from giving this book full marks. This sequel met and surpassed the first book in my opinion, and I never thought to rate it less than 3. Makenna is a true hero, inside and out. Early middle grade readers would enjoy this book, as might younger kids with an adult to read with them. As an adult who positively loved this, I do think this is a book for all ages of fantasy lovers. If you haven’t already, give this series a chance. Like Makenna’s last name, it’s gold.

The Chronicles of the Virago: Book II THE APPRENTUS
View: on Bookshelves

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds quite adventurous, but I'd like to learn more about China if the book is going to be set there. It sounds like I would definitely need to start with the first book in the series, though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

Good character development makes a book interesting. The author did a great job with this one. Makenna's chracter in particular seems to be very well thought out. Great review.
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

The characters laid down well in this book.The writing style of the author in the book is amazing as well. Good Review.
---
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I reviewed the first book in this series a few months ago. When I saw the second one was up for review, I snagged it. The first book won my heart, and I was beyond excited to see what adventures Makenna and her friends got into next. All the characters I loved from the first book are back, and a host of new ones are introduced. One of my favorites is the Grimm Reaper, who goes by Shecky. Far from the creepy guy you’d expect, Shecky is all kinds of adorable, wanting only to be a standup comedian and noting things he could post to his Deathchat account.

In terms of the adventure and Makenna, Bialys takes the second book from where the first left off and so much farther. After her success in the first book, Makenna is feeling pretty confident and a little smug, as any teen who’s discovered they’re good at doing incredible stuff might be. She gets a tough dose of reality, though, when she starts training with Peter. Suddenly, Makenna realizes she doesn’t know everything and that she could benefit from the knowledge of others. This point is shown beautifully throughout the book. It was amazing to see Makenna grow and mature. Her immediate frustration at Peter knowing things she doesn’t turns to a grudging respect and then a proud partnership. On her last day of training, Makenna gives Peter a hug when he cries about his past, realizing he never had a mother to offer him such comfort. This was a huge moment in her character’s development. Here the most, Makenna becomes an incredible role model for young readers, showing them that everyone has points of weakness. Some might be less visible than others, but when we hit on someone’s nerve, the thing to do is to be compassionate and understanding. I’m not embarrassed to say I was sniffling a little.
I think one of the great things about reading a series is getting to see the characters grow.
Your description of the Reaper made me really curious about this book, the message of compassion is not only lovely but important and your enthusiasm shines through your review and is highly contagious. Thanks!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It seems like if the setting is in China that there would be more about the country in the story. It sounds like it would be a benefit to read the first one in the series before reading this one.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Character development is an important aspect of any book. It seems that the character of Makenna shows great growth.

Thank you for the great review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

There's always something new to learn, indeed. Thank you for your well-written review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”