Review by Lee-Ann20 -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Lee-Ann20
Currently Reading: Girl Made of Stars
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-ann20.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Review by Lee-Ann20 -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by Lee-Ann20 » 05 Dec 2018, 10:51

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid is a highly ambitious novel about an alternate winter world where our reflected selves live. This place is called Echoland and the inhabitants are called Echos. The Echos call us Sounds. One Sound child, Will Cleary finds his way to Echoland by searching for his sister who has been missing for several years. Will discovers ages old riddles, frozen lakes full of untold treasures, huge libraries and monsters. Will also meets his Echo, the most important boy in Echoland.

In this story of The Chronicles of Narnia meets Harry Potter there are a lot of plot points going on and I think the author loses her threads a few times. There are characters that appear without any introduction. Actions happen without any reason. I found myself flipping back to see what I missed, when a character entered a scene, or why there was a fight scene happening and I realized that I had not misread something, it just seemed like entire paragraphs of expository prose was missing.

Readers who enjoy fantasy like Harry Potter would enjoy this story for the most part. There was a lot of magic. There was an orphanage setting that seemed similar to Hogwarts. The magical animals were fun and interesting. The world building and magical usage could be built upon for more explanation and for a more enjoyable reading experience.

Readers who enjoy realistic fiction would not like this book. This is definitely a fantasy title as well as a young adult or even a juvenile fiction title. I would give this to readers at a grade level of 6 or younger. The main character is a twelve year old boy and he makes decisions like a typical twelve year old. His voice and actions are very true to his age.

In all, I would give The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid a 2 out of 4 stars. I did not like the lack of world building for a fantasy novel, nor did I like the lack of character development or introduction. Also, the character names taken from classic literature was very confusing to me. For example, Frankenstein, Cyrano de Bergerac, I thought these characters in the book were going to do something similar to the classical literature characters that would warrant the name, and they did not. It was more like placeholders for names that did not actually get changed, similar to using a your own name for a character in a book, which also occurred in this story. I just felt like this story got away from the author and it needed more work to be complete.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lee-Ann20's review? Post a comment saying so!

Debjani Ghosh
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh » 06 Dec 2018, 08:41

I agree with you, Lee-Ann20. The author failed to explain so much in this book. I was often confused when I read this book.

leanne_brown17
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leanne-brown17.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by leanne_brown17 » 06 Dec 2018, 10:35

By the sounds of it, the idea of the book has a lot of potential. It's too bad that the author didn't execute it well enough for readers to follow properly. Very informative review!
"If you are not willing to be a fool, you can't become a master." - Jordan B. Peterson

Cotwani
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert

Post by Cotwani » 06 Dec 2018, 14:38

Its always disappointing when a book with so much potential fails to deliver. Thank you for your detailed review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”