Review by Josh_whit -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Josh_whit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josh-whit.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Review by Josh_whit -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by Josh_whit » 30 Nov 2018, 23:28

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I recently read The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid. I did not like the book pretty much at all. I hate to say it because I know that the book was trying really hard to be the beginning of a new series like what J.K. Rowling did with Harry Potter. Unfortunately, Dew Pellucid is no Rowling.

One of my biggest complaints about the novel is that it seems like it is trying way too hard to be like J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter Series. Pellucid is emulating Rowling in a very poor method. He is trying hard to start a new series and follows the whole ‘rule of three’ for the main character having two best friends and one being a boy and one being a girl. The only twist on it Pellucid puts is that the girl is also the main character’s sister.

The first half of the book literally makes no sense. The sentences don’t flow very well at all. This causes the whole story to not flow at all. I honestly dreaded opening the book for most of the first half of reading it. If I didn’t feel like I needed to finish it to have a complete story, then I definitely wouldn’t have. The issue is that nothing is ever explained actually. It kind of feels like the book had a strong plan, but when it came time to actually write it, Pellucid just jumped from scene to scene. There is no flow between chapters. One chapter will take place in a school and the next chapter will have everyone at lunch without any resolution to the events that happened in the last chapter.

I do feel bad saying how horrid I found this book because the initial premise seems so interesting. I feel like it kept wanting to be exciting and have really cool battle scenes, much like Harry Potter, but it just never got around to it. In fact, there is one scene where the main character is walking on a frozen lake and suddenly these giant ice demons, that seem to be very similar to dementors, show up and start attacking. I don’t understand how they got there or what the purpose of the attack was. It also seemed extremely odd that the ice demons just were at school the next day and said nothing about it to their higher ups. Like the event never occurred. It was pretty ridiculous.

All in all, I did not enjoy The Crystilleries of Echoland and would not recommend it. If it were to appeal to anyone, I would say that the only people that may enjoy it are young boys. Like I said, the premise is cool, so that means young boys will be able to take the general ideas and use them in their own imagination to have fun. My final rating on the book is 1 out of 4. The poor writing and flow of the book was enough for me to not want to finish it, but on top of that it didn’t seem professionally edited at all. The only thing that was promising was the premise, but premise alone does not a novel make.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Josh_whit's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”