Official Review: Vagrant by Janet Post and Gabe Thompson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Vagrant by Janet Post and Gabe Thompson

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Vagrant" by Janet Post and Gabe Thompson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Vagrant is an exciting and a suspenseful science fiction and young adult fiction novel, written by Janet Post and Gabe Thompson.

Logan Hall is among the Vagrants, an entire population of people living in the old subway tunnels, subterranean caverns, and sewers, beneath the mega city of New Washington. He, just like every other Vagrant, has no microchip implant. A microchip is implanted in the hip of every citizen who lives topside, where people are fed with genetically altered food. Sopore, an addictive substance is genetically bred into corn. It is a sedative that allows the Company to control everybody.

The Vagrants know about the drug. They grow their own food and are, therefore, free of the Company’s control. Consequently, the Company hunts down all the Vagrants to send them to work in the mines of newly-discovered planets. Logan’s father is among those who were captured and sent off to Gliese 667, leaving Logan among the other Vagrants.

In one of Logan’s missions aboveground, he meets Shayna Nagata, a beautiful, sweet, and kind candy striper who is allergic to corn, and is, therefore, not addicted to Sopore. Shayna helps Logan to escape from the authorities. Unfortunately, Logan’s friend Raj is captured.

Logan vows to save Raj or die trying.

Told in the third-person perspective, this is a fast-paced and suspenseful book with twenty-eight chapters. It emphasizes negative and positive human traits including avarice and tenacity. The authors successfully depict the Company as an extremely rapacious institution. It controls the citizens to do its bidding, such as shipping them off to other planets to work at the mines, for diamonds and other gemstones. Similarly, they portray the Vagrants as a group of people, who steadfastly hold on to their freedom. The book presents the strength of the human spirit, the ability to cope with the most horrific form of existence, and the seemingly irrational sense of optimism, that keeps a person hoping, when there seems to be nothing else to hope for.

This is an interesting book and an easy read. The settings, both below and above the ground, are vividly described, and the dialogues are fitting for both the younger and the older characters. The plot is quite unpredictable, and there are plenty of surprises within the entire book. The main characters are well-developed and easily relatable. Shayna is a tough girl who knows what she wants, and is willing to do what is necessary. Logan is the ultimate hero. He is kind, brave, and is willing to die for what he believes is right.

While the most important part of the book is, naturally, Logan’s rescue mission, what I like most is the seemingly underrated reference to the minor characters, who actually play major roles in the story.

I enjoyed this book a lot. However, there seems to be insufficient backstories on Doctor Bob, Professor Goswami, and Eddie. Moreover, there are several noticeable errors within the entire book (like Declan instead of Deklan and Breath shallowly instead of Breathe shallowly).

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is exciting and suspenseful. I recommend it to fans of science fiction novels.

Vagrant
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I am really into these kind of books right now and this one sounds like one I would definitely read. The malevolent Company putting a mind-control sedative in the population's food is so horrible that it makes for a good plot. Thanks for your great review.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

This book seems like a great read. Shayna and Logan both sound like very interesting characters, but usually it the important minor characters who capture my interest. Thank you for your great review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

melissy370 wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 20:30 I am really into these kind of books right now and this one sounds like one I would definitely read. The malevolent Company putting a mind-control sedative in the population's food is so horrible that it makes for a good plot. Thanks for your great review.
You're welcome. It's a great book!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

daydreaming reader wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 20:33 This book seems like a great read. Shayna and Logan both sound like very interesting characters, but usually it the important minor characters who capture my interest. Thank you for your great review.
Thank you and you're welcome. I hope you get a chance to read the book.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I cannot say that I am a fan, but I appreciated your review. Great idea to put sedatives into the corn, to keep the population submissive. The fact that the plot is unpredictable and full of surprises makes me think this book might translate well into a movie. Many thanks for your comments.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

sonya01 wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 01:39 I cannot say that I am a fan, but I appreciated your review. Great idea to put sedatives into the corn, to keep the population submissive. The fact that the plot is unpredictable and full of surprises makes me think this book might translate well into a movie. Many thanks for your comments.
Thank you! I enjoyed the book a lot.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You've got me addicted! It seems that you and I enjoy many of the same books. This one sounds fabulous. Everyone addicted to a substance they put into corn so that they can control everyone? I definitely want to be a Vagrant. I'll look this one up for sure! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 08:39 You've got me addicted! It seems that you and I enjoy many of the same books. This one sounds fabulous. Everyone addicted to a substance they put into corn so that they can control everyone? I definitely want to be a Vagrant. I'll look this one up for sure! Thanks.
you're welcome. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”