Review by Sushan -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Sushan
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 210
Currently Reading: Serial K Returns
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Review by Sushan -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by Sushan » 05 Nov 2018, 12:22

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Young Adult fantasy is a genre with which I started reading. But for a while, I could not read a good YA fantasy, and when the opportunity occurred to review one, I had no second thoughts. That is how I ended up reviewing The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid.

As per the basic details, my copy came with 281 pages. Though it was a medium sized book, it was divided into 63 chapters and an epilogue. It carried coloured illustrations as well, which is quite unusual to see in YA novels.

Will Cleary, a boy who has disappeared with his twin sister in their infancy, has come back in a mysterious manner. He is now grown up and sees the misery that his family is under, due to the loss of his sister. Will decides to go to search for her, and ends up in a hidden world, which is underneath the human world, the ‘echoland’. Despite looking for his sister, he has to get involved in a fight to crown the actual heir of the Echo kingdom. Will he succeed? Will he find his sister? Will he be able to come back?

The first thing which came to my mind when I kept on reading was, that this book is truly inspired by the famous fantasy, the Harry Potter. The descriptions of the orphanage, the fate sealers, reminded me of the 3rd book of the Harry Potter series, the Prisoner of Azkaban. Still I am giving full credits to Pellucid, for the creation of the imaginary ‘echoland’, since it is a marvellous imagination. The author himself has mentioned at the end of the book, that he himself spent 12 years imagining the ‘echoland’.

The language use was pretty simple. It facilitated a fast reading. Use of numerous short chapters, instead of few long chapters was an addition to that. The shifting between scenes was clear with the way that the author has divided the chapters.

The ‘echoland’, the plot, the scenes were well planned and well described. But I felt like the descriptions were lacking a bit. Since this book takes the reader to a totally new world, it would have been better, if the surrounding descriptions were some more. It would have made the book a bit larger, yet it would have been more interesting.

The unexpected twists which appeared in least expected situations, made the plot really interesting. The reader is kept in suspense till the end, and this only is enough to keep the reader attracted and alert.

The book was professionally edited and I found no typos, spelling or grammar mistakes.

Anyway, I found it bit difficult to keep up with story, and it was a bit difficult to understand with the large number of characters. Many of them were given a big significance, and in my opinion this made the story a little bit complex.

And also, the happy ending was too happy for me. Only the bad guys were dead by the end but not even a single good guy, even after undergoing serious trauma. Even for a fantasy, this is too impractical.

This book is for all the YA fantasy lovers, including younger readers, since this did not contain any sexually explicit content. But anyone who cannot withstand violent acts, better to avoid reading this, since it carries few gruesome fights and killings.

I would like to give this a rating of 3.7. Since such values are not allowed, I will give this a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sushan's review? Post a comment saying so!
"He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help"

Abraham Lincoln

:techie-studyingbrown: $u$han €kanayak€ :techie-studyingbrown:

Amy+++
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 580
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades of Grey
Currently Reading: Dark Ghost
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Amy+++ » 06 Nov 2018, 11:37

I agree with your review. I read this book a few weeks ago and loved it. Great review.

Sushan

Post by Sushan » 06 Nov 2018, 11:53

Amy+++ wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 11:37
I agree with your review. I read this book a few weeks ago and loved it. Great review.
Thanks for the kind reply. I am glad that you enjoyed my review 👍👍

Abraham Lincoln

Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: Call Her Miss Ross
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa » 06 Nov 2018, 15:28

As per the basic details, my copy came with 281 pages. Though it was a medium sized book, it was divided into 63 chapters and an epilogue. It carried coloured illustrations as well, which is quite unusual to see in YA novels.
It is a great effort made by you Sushan that you have read 63 chapters in a book and then combined them in the form of one page. its a good review by you. But one of my opinions to you is you should write your review in the form of big paragraphs not in the form of small paragraphs. hope for the best.

Book Lover 35
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: 360 Living: Practical guidance for a balanced life by Jacquelyn Salvador and Yvon Dalat

Post by Book Lover 35 » 06 Nov 2018, 20:19

Well it sounds like a great book, although I wish it wasn't too fast paced. That's amazing that the author imagined this world for 12 years. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:

Sushan

Post by Sushan » 06 Nov 2018, 20:25

Book Lover 35 wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 20:19
Well it sounds like a great book, although I wish it wasn't too fast paced. That's amazing that the author imagined this world for 12 years. Thank you for the review!
Thank you for the kind reply. Hope you enjoyed my review 👍👍

Abraham Lincoln

Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: The Watchmaker’s Doctor
Bookshelf Size: 522
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: Lily White Lie by Connie Chappell
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 06 Nov 2018, 22:20

To imagine a land for 12 years is clearly something. What's really great about fantasy genre is that they take us to their own unique world so that we can pray on them. It's really great to get lost in one, and I can see this read has won your enthusiasm. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Sushan

Post by Sushan » 06 Nov 2018, 23:20

Sahani Nimandra wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 22:20
To imagine a land for 12 years is clearly something. What's really great about fantasy genre is that they take us to their own unique world so that we can pray on them. It's really great to get lost in one, and I can see this read has won your enthusiasm. Thank you for your review!
Thanks for the kind comment. I am glad that you enjoyed my review 👍👍

Abraham Lincoln

Debjani Ghosh
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh » 07 Nov 2018, 01:44

I too read this book and agree with you that the author should have described the surroundings and backstories of certain characters more. Thanks for the review!

Sushan

Post by Sushan » 07 Nov 2018, 02:13

Debjani Ghosh wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 01:44
I too read this book and agree with you that the author should have described the surroundings and backstories of certain characters more. Thanks for the review!
Glad to see someone who is agreeing with me. Thanks for the kind comment 👍👍

Abraham Lincoln

fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom » 07 Nov 2018, 08:40

Great review! Sounds like a good book. The author imagined the land for 12 years, must have put more into it that way. I like most aspects of the book you mentioned the only thing that would hold me back is the large number of characters that made it a bit complex, but the rest of it sounded really good to me. Again, great review!

Sushan

Post by Sushan » 07 Nov 2018, 08:51

fernsmom wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 08:40
Great review! Sounds like a good book. The author imagined the land for 12 years, must have put more into it that way. I like most aspects of the book you mentioned the only thing that would hold me back is the large number of characters that made it a bit complex, but the rest of it sounded really good to me. Again, great review!
Thanks for the kind reply. I am glad that my review allowed you to get a complete idea about the book 👍👍

Abraham Lincoln

Kajori50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori50.html
Latest Review: A Thousand Seeds of Joy by Ananda Karunesh

Post by Kajori50 » 07 Nov 2018, 13:17

I like to read YA fantasy as well and from your review it seems that this book is right up my alley. I like the premise and the way Echoland was structured. It does remind one of the Harry Potter series.
Also, it is amazing that the author took twelve years to create his Echoland.

Thank you for the lovely review.

Sushan

Post by Sushan » 07 Nov 2018, 13:19

Kajori50 wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 13:17
I like to read YA fantasy as well and from your review it seems that this book is right up my alley. I like the premise and the way Echoland was structured. It does remind one of the Harry Potter series.
Also, it is amazing that the author took twelve years to create his Echoland.

Thank you for the lovely review.
Thank you for the kind comment. I am glad that you enjoyed my review 👍👍

Abraham Lincoln

Sushan

Post by Sushan » 07 Nov 2018, 13:22

Fozia-Bajwa wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 15:28
It is a great effort made by you Sushan that you have read 63 chapters in a book and then combined them in the form of one page. its a good review by you. But one of my opinions to you is you should write your review in the form of big paragraphs not in the form of small paragraphs. hope for the best.
Thanks for the kind opinion. I will keep it in mind in my future reviews. Thank you once again for the reply 👍👍

Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”