Review by pricklypurple -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
pricklypurple
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Review by pricklypurple -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by pricklypurple » 03 Nov 2018, 15:39

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For fans of Harry Potter and Percy Jackson comes The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid, a young adult novel full of fantasy and adventure. The story follows Will Cleary whose twin sister, Emmy, has gone missing. Will's parents are distraught and haven't been the same since Emmy disappeared. The Clearys live in the Sound realm which is very similar to a normal world. However, Will must travel to Echoland to find his sister.

In Echoland, Will discovers that every person, or Sound, has an Echo to match. It is said in the Law of Death that when a Sound dies, its Echo must also be killed. This law is carried out by the Fate Sealers. Will's Echo happens to be the prince of Echoland. Together, Will and the prince set off on an adventure through the land to clear the late king's name and restore the prince to the throne. Then, the Law of Death can be abolished, and peace can come to Echoland.

I really enjoyed this book. It is fast-paced and full of colorful characters. The descriptions of the people are very imaginative. I loved reading about Will's appearance and how he had to change his look to hide in Echoland. He also was accompanied by a team of quirky characters. I liked the animal friends he had as well as his somewhat silly but reliable friend Peter.

This book was written very well. The story was easy to follow, and the world was described in detail. I really didn't find any editing errors. It was easy to tell that this book was crafted with care. My favorite part of the book was the way the characters and places were described. It was really easy to picture this fantasy land and to become involved in the story. I am a big Harry Potter fan and felt that this book channeled a similar energy. I loved the way the children all worked as a team to fight evil. It is a heart-warming story. I can't really pinpoint a least favorite part. I don't really have anything bad to say about the book. It was a little odd that the author chose to give herself a cameo role in the novel. However, this didn't take away from the story at all.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It kept me engaged, and I know that children and young adults would love it. If young adult fiction is not really your thing, you might not enjoy it, but if you can get past that, this can be an enjoyable read for anyone. It is a well-thought-out universe with likable characters, and I look forward to future installments.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like pricklypurple's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”