Review by Sweetp120 -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Review by Sweetp120 -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by Sweetp120 » 01 Nov 2018, 21:11

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if everything you have known was turned upside down? What if you found out you had a doppelganger, and their life depended on you to live yours? That is what happens to our main character when he goes searching for his twin sister who went missing years ago. In The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid, our hero is only 12 years old, and he must go with his Echo, as these doubles are known as, on a dangerous quest to right the wrongs of others and save this magical kingdom called Echoland; where his double will one day rule, only if they can make it to their thirteenth birthday. Can they do it or will the evil lurking in the shadows destroy them before they even get a chance? Find out when you read The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid.

I give this book a full 4 out of 4 rating. It was magnificent, exciting, and just downright amazing. I was so enthralled with this storyline that I finished the 367 paged story in three days. The storyline was new and intriguing. The characters, strongly developed, were easy to keep track of. Even the grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors were minimal. There was so little to dislike about this book and that's why it earned a full rating from me.

There was so much to like about this book, but it was the refreshing storyline that really got me. I felt like I was a part of the story. I could feel the feelings that each character had, as well as the bonds of friendship and loyalty, as well as the occasional hate, between each of them. The concepts of sounds and echoes was new and exciting and definitely worth exploring more of. I would like to see this turned into a movie or even a television series. I also think this book would prosper with a sequel or two. The book tied up all loose ends by the end of the story, but it would be interesting to see what changes come after the choices made by the characters. Finally, the last thing I enjoyed was seeing the art in between the chapters. It was cool to see how the visions I had in my head while reading differed from that of the author in these pictures. There honestly was so much that I loved about this book that it was hard for me to put it down, even if it is a book meant for a younger audience.

There were only three problems that I found with this book. First, was the issue that sometimes things were a little fast paced that a few more descriptions could have been used. For example, when going into town not much is described because the hero of the story is so focused on what he is doing. What could have happened was in this scene, where the hero of our story was also seeing this town for the first time -and us through him- he could have described more of the sights, the sounds, and even the smells; not the vague description of things in plain sight. Secondly, in the first paragraph of chapter 42 on page 250, the author describes something super important that it is necessary to understand later in the book. While it is understandable in its current form, I feel that it could have been reworded to make the point clearer. I state this because while I got the point of it while reading the story I actually had to revisit the page after finishing the book to reread the first paragraph at least twice. Finally, on page 311 near the end where the character named Conway is talking he makes a point that seems unfinished to me. He speaks about letting something live somewhere; but the question is what is living and where is it living? It's important to make sure that the idea you are trying to portray is put out there in such a way that the subject of the matter is clear. Although rather important a couple of these issues only came up once and that's why I could easily overlook them.

The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid was captivating. I was sad to see when the story finally ended, but as stated previously, my hope is that the author will continue this story of heroes in another book. With a smile on my face, I can honestly say I highly recommend this book to anyone willing just to escape the hassle of their daily life. This author definitely earned herself a full rating for this work of art.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sweetp120's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”