Official Review: The "Great" Sarah Johnson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: The "Great" Sarah Johnson

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The "Great" Sarah Johnson" by R.M. Demeester.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

She walked in the halls of her high school that day feeling quite confident. She had a gorgeous new purse. Sarah Johnson, the most popular girl in school, would be so jealous. Sarah Johnson had been her worst nemesis since Kindergarten. Author R.M Demeester tells the story of a bullied young girl in the short story titled The “Great” Sarah Johnson: A Short Story.

Elaina Tinley had just about enough. Just when she was feeling confident, the intolerable Sarah Johnson humiliated her again. Sarah tripped Elaina causing her to hit the floor, and the contents of her beautiful new purse spilled out onto the floor for everyone to see. All of the teens surrounding them burst into laughter. Astonishingly, Sarah’s friend, Valerie came to Elaina with an offer that she could not refuse. Valerie’s deal would give Elaina the golden opportunity to finally put Sarah in her place. Still, Elaina would have to dig deep to find the courage to see the plan through to the end.

I had high hopes for this story as I really enjoyed another short story written by this author. Unfortunately, this short story was a disappointment for me. The start of the story was very good. It immediately caught my attention. Bullying is a huge problem in our society today. Our young people are in need of good examples to follow to help bring an end to bullying. In my opinion, this story is an example of how not to handle a bully. I was devastated by the characters’ actions.

This is a well-written and well-organized book. There are two grammar errors in the text. These errors are missing and misplaced words. However, these errors did not distract from the story. The story comfortably flows from one scene to the next making it pleasant to read.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The story is fun and entertaining with interesting, relatable characters. Young readers ages ten to twelve would enjoy this book strictly for entertainment. I would love to recommend this book to younger readers, but there is one mildly profane word in the text that I find inappropriate for readers younger than ten. Still, this is a well-written story with minor grammar and editing errors. I am just completely disappointed by the actions and the decisions that were made by the characters. However, not every story needs to teach some valuable lesson. This is a story that is sure to engage and entertain young readers.

The "Great" Sarah Johnson
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

I know life is not all fun and happiness, and that not every story has a happy ending. Is it really necessary though, to put negative messages and stupid ideas into the heads of our vulnerable kids? I haven't read this book, but your thoughtful review makes me feel disappointed that the author had to go this way when there was an opportunity to give a more constructive outcome.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

It's a pity that the author didn't offer readers a better solution for the bullying. This scenario is so common and it would have been a perfect opportunity for young readers to get some helpful advice on how to handle bullies. It seems that the opportunity was lost. Still, you give this book a good rating so there must be something to it. Thanks for your comments.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Bullying is a problem that seems is here with us to stay, even with the advancement in our society, it is still here. By speaking about it like the author has done in this book is a great step, and i think this should be a must read for all the teens in our society.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

We absolutely need more stories about bullies and their consequences and how to handle them. I'm so sad that this one doesn't really demonstrate the proper way to handle bullying. :( I guess the only way I would recommend this one is to be able to sit down with your children and point out the flaws. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Bullying is a huge problem in our society today. Our young people are in need of good examples to follow to help bring an end to bullying. In my opinion, this story is an example of how not to handle a bully.
I completely agree. We have to be careful what we're teaching the younger generations - bullying a bully just creates more bullies. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

Well it is true all stories don't need to teach something, but if it's tackling something that's prevalent in our society then maybe it should? Either way, thank you for the informative review!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

So is it a story about revenge? I like that it is a book that many kids can relate too. Also goes to prove that many bullies are insecure. Great review!
:tiphat:
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

While I understand your point about the solution to bullying, perhaps this book could be used as a conversation starter between a mature and responsible individual and someone of the recommended age range. Thank you for your honest review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

Books with grammatical errors are usually a turn off. With that being said i would like to add that indeed a solution to the crisis highlighted in the book should have been given at the end. It is an unwritten rule that should have been adhered to. Great review but i'll give this one a wide berth
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

Wow! Sounds to be a great book about bullying and all. I would love to read it.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”