Review by Zimall -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin
fav_author_id: 156933

Review by Zimall -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by Zimall » 31 Oct 2018, 06:24

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid is a young adult high fantasy novel. It is a fast-paced novel with a lot of mystery and suspense. The action of the book takes place in Echoland. Echoland is the replica of the real world. When a human is born, his lucent look-alike is also born in Echoland.

People in the real world are being kidnapped. Do these kidnappings have roots in Echoland? The king of Echoland is dead and a false king is ruling the Echo realm. Whenever a man in the real world dies, his echo is executed in Echoland by the false king. William Cleary is a 12 years old boy from the real world. The responsibility of saving Echoland and his twin sister from the ruthless claws of the false king is thrust upon him. The boy steps in Echoland. There, he make a few friends and a lot of enemies. Will the boy ever be able to find his sister and save Echoland?

The book comprises 63 short chapters, an epilogue and a lot of digital illustrations. It is professionally edited as I was unable to find even a single typo.The characterization is not very captivating. The author gives no in-depth picture of any character. I couldn't make myself familiar with any character, even not with the protagonist.

At the beginning, the book is very difficult to understand. The information is too much to absorb from the first reading. I had to read the first chapter twice to understand it completely. Action was too fast paced to catch up with. Most of the time, I remained confused. But as the story proceeded, I was able to develop some interest in the story.

The thing I love about this book is the detailed account of the places and the incidents. They are more detailed than the characters. I could imagine Echoland with its forest and the round fortress. Dew successfully portrayed an imaginative land and its lucent people. The idea of having a semi-transparent doppelganger is fascinating. The word coining is also notable. Dew invents the words like “fortunerific”, which is very interesting.

The worst thing about this book is the large amount of loose ends. Many things remained unexplained even after finishing the whole book. The author kept on referring to some incidents that were explained much later in the story and consequently, I utterly lost interest in the book. The book was recommended to the Harry Potter fans and my expectations were very high. The book didn't meet the expectations and I was disappointed.

I will rate this book 2 out of 4 stars because of the confusion it left me in. I would recommend it to the fantasy readers who love to read more details about the places and the incidents rather than the characters. I would definitely not recommend it to the Harry Potter fans as it would disappoint them a bit.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Zimall's review? Post a comment saying so!

thaservices1
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 68
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello

Post by thaservices1 » 02 Nov 2018, 00:22

I found myself confused many times reading this book as well. Thank you for the through review.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt

Zimall

Post by Zimall » 02 Nov 2018, 07:16

thaservices1 wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 00:22
I found myself confused many times reading this book as well. Thank you for the through review.
Yep. It was confusion that made me rate this 2 stars..by the way thanks for your kind appreciation 😊

charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit » 21 Nov 2018, 03:55

I like that the author has written a thorough detail of the fantasy world. I just hope that the characters were also well-described.

Zimall

Post by Zimall » 21 Nov 2018, 07:44

charmperit wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 03:55
I like that the author has written a thorough detail of the fantasy world. I just hope that the characters were also well-described.
I aslo hoped to read thorough character sketches but was disappointed a bit..thanks Charmpit for commenting ☺

Mouricia25
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 216
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia25 » 27 Nov 2018, 01:47

This is a different view of this book. Thank you for your honest review.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Zimall

Post by Zimall » 29 Nov 2018, 06:33

Mouricia25 wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 01:47
This is a different view of this book. Thank you for your honest review.
Thanks a lot for commenting Mouricia☺

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”