The 49th Mystic by Ted Dekker (Beyond the Circle #1)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
hmbs76
Favorite Book: The 49th Mystic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

The 49th Mystic by Ted Dekker (Beyond the Circle #1)

Post by hmbs76 »

I chose this book because I am a huge Ted Dekker fan. I have yet to read a novel written by him that is not a wild ride, and this one is no exception. While I am submitting this review in the YA fiction forum, it is a crossover novel - applicable to and possible to be enjoyed by both young adults and adults. It deals with inner struggles experienced by the entire human race essentially from the perspective of a 16-year-old girl. I say "essentially" because she is older in the alternate reality she enters through her dreams. However, even her initial perceptions in that world include the fact that, although her physical body is older in that world, she still processes things through her adolescent filter for much of the story. Basically, she skips the "coming-of-age" portion of her life when she wakes up in Other Earth which presents a whole awkward set of anxieties and delights - like a sci-fi version of the movie "Big" where Tom Hanks' character skips from childhood to full-blown adult. However, skipping back and forth between the two worlds (and her differing identities) has an understandably dizzying effect on Rachelle and allows Dekker to touch on both adult and teen perspectives through the heightened senses of fantasy/post-apocalyptic worlds.

In keeping with Dekker's writing style, "The 49th Mystic" uses an allegory to squarely address spiritual principles. However, make no mistake - it is NOTHING like your grandma's Bible study. Instead, Dekker prefers to challenge the status quo - the often unquestioned perceptions of God and His view of humanity long held by Christian institutions. In this book, he explores the boundaries of God's love and tests the possibilities of power that may be experienced if a believer dares to throw out social biases and genuinely get to know the Creator of the universe. I cannot say that I necessarily agree with every assertion that he presents if followed to their ultimate conclusions, but I do respect the passion with which he pursues truth. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who gets tired of cookie cutter faith and longs for the freshness experienced by the early church.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Thank you for posting about this book! I read the circle series years ago, and I loved it. I may need to check this one out, too!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”