Official Review: Mimi the deer and other stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Mimi the deer and other stories

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mimi the deer and other stories" by Chika Echebiri.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mimi the Deer and Other Stories by Chika Echebiri is a collection of five short tales highlighting the emotional journeys of five young people.

“A Flooding at Madagascar” tells of a family taking refuge from a big storm and how the family’s youngest son, Simone, makes the best of the situation. “Jamal and the Zebra” shows Jamal saving a zebra from a hunter and caring for the animal while disgracing those who would harm such a gentle creature. In “Jeremiah and the Magic Mushroom,” Jeremiah finds a red mushroom that glows, but perhaps only for him. “Mimi the Deer” shows Elsa, a girl troubled by her father’s drinking, bonding with Mimi, the gentle doe. Lastly, “Penelope’s Garden” highlights how caring about something can change an entire outlook.

I quite enjoyed this collection. The stories are sweet and uplifting. They definitely left me smiling. Of them, “Jamal and the Zebra” was my favorite. I liked the bond formed between man and beast. “Penelope’s Garden” was a close second, as I could relate to the feeling of being uprooted and dropped in a new place against your will. These two stories also seemed the most formed, with clear conflict and resolution. The others felt more like fables or parables, but this didn’t really detract from my enjoyment. Each story had a lesson to impart, and all did so beautifully.

The writing itself felt a bit encumbered. In particular, “A Flooding at Madagascar” had a lot of constantly reintroducing people. The characters were clearly established, and then every time one was mentioned, there would be a reminder of who they were in relation to the other characters. While this was a bit distracting, it was easy to overlook, and the rest of the stories didn’t feature this quite so much.

There was a smattering of errors throughout—mostly missing commas and a few misused words. Overall, though, the book warmed my heart, and for that, I rate Mimi the Deer and Other Stories 3 out of 4 stars. The negative aspects of the book weren’t enough to lower my rating, and I can’t deny the happy feeling I had after finishing this collection. I recommend this book to anyone seeking a feel-good read. Children and adults alike would enjoy the stories gathered here. This is the kind of book that reminds us about all the good in the world. So, save it for a down day or just read it for the smiles. Either way, give it a try.

Mimi the deer and other stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a sweet collection. They seem like stories we could all learn something from. The reintroducing of the characters might get a bit annoying, but it doesn't seem like it's enough to skip the book. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

I admire the concern shown for animals in this collection. It is noble and this not just a book that we should read and be heart warmed but we ought to embrace the spirit. Thank you very much for the good review.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

You did a great job. You have described a lot about the book you reviewed.
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

I don't think I've ever read a book that's just for the reader to feel good. I absolutely love the idea of that. Thank you for the useful review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”