Review by smythemilie -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
smythemilie
Currently Reading: Glass Sword
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smythemilie.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Review by smythemilie -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by smythemilie » 25 Oct 2018, 13:19

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dew Pellucid takes us on a journey in her book The Crystilleries of Echoland. Children all over are disappearing to another, darker, realm. One boy is returned without his sister, how far will he go to learn the secrets of the past and save her? With the help of unlikely friends he is able to make a journey out of the history he is told of the dangerous new land.

This book is more of a children’s book (7th or 8th grade reading level) with very short chapters - easy to read and understand. I think children in junior high or younger would love this book and the characters. It seems as though it was written for that audience and it is very well written if that is the case. However, the reading level is so minimal that I do not believe adults would enjoy it as much.

I don’t like the Parenthesis in the first couple pages of the book. It disrupts the flow of the book and explains things that don’t need explaining. As an example the author wrote about animals being too worried about something to smile and then in parenthesis she wrote "(as if animals could smile in the first place.)" In my opinion it was unnecessary and caused me to take my attention away from the point that the animals not smiling was supposed to make.

The illustrations within the book are amazing and I thoroughly enjoyed them. The illustrations show you what you picture in your head when reading and they make the book more enjoyable. They paint the story very vividly and bring the characters to life. That being said, the characters do not grow up at all. Despite going through all of the pain and suffering they have to endure, they are still immature and show no changes in their demeanor or maturity level.

There are not surprises or much suspense within the book and that caused me to get bored at times with the text. It suits children more as I imagine the things that happen would be more appealing to them at the same age as the characters. Although, I feel as though the author could have added more context and taken the story to a whole new level. A very easy read but very limited in the context as well. I give this book the rating of 3 out of 4 stars because I would recommend it to the children in my family.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like smythemilie's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”