Review by Doug Jones -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Doug Jones
Currently Reading: Beyond Denial
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doug-jones.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Review by Doug Jones -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by Doug Jones » 25 Oct 2018, 05:07

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dew Pellucid’s fantasy novel The Crystilleries of Echoland introduces us to Will Cleary, a 12-year-old who disappeared with his twin sister Emmy a decade ago. Will was found, wrapped in a glowing plant and accompanied by the falcon Deá and the wolf Damian. Emmy, however, remains lost, and the twins’ parents do not cope well with this; the father reads obsessively, and the mother dives around the pond that Will and Emmy disappeared into. Both parents are looking for clues into Emmy’s disappearance, but despite how ineffectual their methods are, they do not attempt any other course of action.

The disappearance of Emmy is part of a wider pattern of disappearances, all recorded in a 1,007-page book which Will darkly refers to as a “gravestone” book. Will is unique in that, of all the people recorded in the “gravestone” book, he is the only one to have returned. The consequences of his return are more fantastic than he realizes, for there is a parallel world to Will’s called Echoland. Will is a Sound, and Sounds have Echoes, or reflections of themselves, that reside in Echoland. Will’s Echo is a prince who is poised to become king, but dark forces within Echoland are conspiring against this outcome, with consequences for both the prince and for Will.

While The Crystilleries of Echoland has sixty-three chapters, these are brief. Furthermore, the pace of the story is brisk, so getting through the book should not take too long. Pellucid writes in an accessible manner appropriate for young adults, though given the amount of violence in the book, your mileage may vary regarding how appropriate this book is for that market. There are two things that go against the writing: too many commas are used where they are not needed; and Pellucid seems particularly taken with the word “lucent,” which occurs throughout the text with irritating frequency.

The Crystilleries of Echoland does have strong points. The graphic artwork throughout the book conveys an appropriately other-worldly atmosphere, enabling the reader to immerse themselves in Will’s world. The concept itself is intriguing, in terms of how Sounds and Echoes inhabit parallel realms and yet lead existences which are inextricably linked. Pellucid is masterful at world-building and she has constructed an imaginative and coherent universe within this book.

I must award The Crystilleries of Echoland a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. A proof-reader is required to edit a lot of the commas throughout the work, and a thesaurus will be necessary to replace the word “lucent” to not induce annoyance in the reader. These stylistic criticisms aside, this is an interesting book which gets the reader thinking and is recommended for young adults and older adults alike.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Doug Jones's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is more conductive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Mouricia25
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 216
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia25 » 27 Nov 2018, 01:45

This is a unique review. I will give this book a try and see what happens.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Shrabastee
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 185
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 278
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: I by Zeyan Zyrus

Post by Shrabastee » 28 Nov 2018, 07:19

A very succinct review! I have also read and reviewed this book recently. I agree with you about the 'other-worldly' flavor brought about by the illustrations! The chapters were indeed easy to grasp by the intended audience. However, I understand what you mentioned about the word 'lucent', I have a similar feeling about the word 'see-through'!
Latest Review: I by Zeyan Zyrus

Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall » 28 Nov 2018, 08:35

The book is good but i was annoyed cause author had left many lose ends and many other things that were explained much later in the story caused irritation. Thumbs up for a thorough review 👍

Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ » 06 Dec 2018, 02:00

The cover itself seems too scary and irritating. I am not gonna try it ever. Your review has been great!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”