Official Review: Gentle Hero by Ace Mask

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: Gentle Hero by Ace Mask

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gentle Hero" by Ace Mask.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gentle Hero is the sequel to Ace Mask's first novel, Forever Stay. However, it can definitely stand alone as the author briefly describes the events of the first book, as well as how the characters got to where they were, in the beginning of the second book. The star of the novel, Kane, is a border collie with remarkable intelligence. Elizabeth, one of his owners, decides to have him certified as a therapy dog to help people like her brother, who is going through chemotherapy. However, one of Kane's first assignments is to help calm a young girl who is the key to solving a murder -- the only person who might have seen the murderer's face.

Gentle Hero is classified as YA fiction and is only 230 pages long. It took me a couple tries to get into it and I lost interest quickly within the first 50 pages or so, but once the action picked up I read straight through to the end. The author's writing style is a little formal, which would normally suit crime novels, but does not really suit the YA genre.

Besides my issues with the writing style, I also found over 10 minor mistakes in the novel. Almost all of them were punctuation errors. Another thing that bothered me was the ease with which Kane became certified. The instructor even mentioned that certification usually takes half a year, but she ended up giving Kane and Elizabeth an assignment on the same day! That felt rushed and unrealistic to me, even for a YA novel.

Thankfully, there were plenty of good things about the novel that canceled those errors out, at least in my mind. Kane is very intelligent, but that doesn't mean that he always understands what the humans are doing. Some of his inner monologues were hilarious to read and it was interesting to see things from a dog's perspective. Also, Elizabeth's brother, Ben, has autism and is going through chemotherapy. Not only is it great to see representation in YA novels, but Ben is such a trooper despite being so young and going through such a hard experience. He was really an inspiration to me.

I'll admit that I'm not exactly the target audience for this book. A part of me wants to rate it only 2 stars for being predictable and having all the issues I mentioned above. Although I enjoyed parts of it and was satisfied by the ending, I wouldn't necessarily want to read it again. However, I know plenty of younger people who would be thrilled by it, so I'm going to give Gentle Hero 3 out of 4 stars and just take one star away for the multiple errors and the rushed scenes. I'm definitely going to recommend this to some of my younger nieces and nephews, as well as friends with autistic children or those who have never thought of having therapy with a dog before. I'm sure after reading this book, they'll be convinced that therapy dogs are amazing.

Gentle Hero
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I am a sucker for books that feature animals and hence was drawn by the book cover. But I am not the target audience for this book, hence, I will skip this one. Thanks for the honest review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that Kane is the subject of the book. I'm interested to see how he helps to solve a murder. I have to be honest, though, I'm not sure I would get through the first few pages of monotony. That's always the worst for me. I can't tell you how many books have lost me that way. I might be able to push through if I know more is coming. I'll think on it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Some inner dialogue from the dog's point of view is very imaginative, and I like the idea of a therapy dog helping an autistic boy and helping to solve a mystery too. I think I could overlook the negatives, so I'll probably give this book a try.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I love the premise of this book. This might not be for me, but I can also think of some younger people who might be interested in this. Thanks for the review!
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

I love dogs, and in this case Kane is indeed a gentle heroe. Such a book would not only give a sweet warm feeling but also a warm feeling that Kane was mine. I would therefore read the book even with the few errors. Thanks for the review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I'm here imagining what and how the dog's inner dialogue would be like. This sounds like a very good book for young adults, and I won't mind reading this as well. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I thought I might like to read this book. I'm now wondering if I might also struggle to get into it. I like that the main character is the dog. I like how your review highlighted the good parts and you made note that you aren't the target of YA. I like that you don't have to read the other books to know what's going on. I recently finished a book like that and it helped to not have to read the others to know what was going on in the third book in the series.
Mac :techie-reference:
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I'm glad to hear that there is representation present, although it's a pity about the errors and the plot being rushed. Thanks for the review! (:
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

I mostly like when animals are featured in children's books, unlike other genres, although I may enjoy a bit in young adult genres. The book's premise is great and would make a good read.
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

A book about a cute doggo? sign me up lol. thanks for your review. I love dogs in all forms unfortunatly I do like more fantasy and horror genras. I do not think i would actually read it but it seems like a great book.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I love that the author has used autism in a YA novel. It's important to teach children about people who are different from the norm and that their differences are not to be laughed at. So I feel like reading this book.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I like that it's from a dog's point of view. I like the summary. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

Nothing like a good old dog story to help you see the other side of life, but with the way this one was reviewed i will have to give it a pass. Cheers
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
Rebalgal25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Rebalgal25 »

I have not read this book but would love too as it seems interesting and being a dog fan I think I would enjoy it

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”