Review by Griffithb1216 -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Griffithb1216
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-griffithb1216.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Review by Griffithb1216 -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by Griffithb1216 » 20 Oct 2018, 21:06

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Looking for mystery, adventure, and vivid fantasy? Then delve into the fantastic world of The Crystilleries of Echoland. In this story, every living thing or a Sound as they are called, has an Echo or reflection of themselves, operating in another land. The story follows Will Cleary and his Echo friends on a quest to save his twin sister from this realm. Will and his twin sister both vanished when they were two years old. Will returned to his parents , with the help of brave Echoes, but his sister was left behind in Echoland.

Throughout the story Will discovers the truth regarding his true identity, missing sister, and what his must risk to bring her home. Will learns he is the Sound of the prince of Echoland, and is therefore in grave danger. An evil ruler has replaced the Good King of Echoland and seeking to destoy Will in order to destroy the prince, the rightful heir to the throne. Will his sister be found? Will evil take over all of Echoland?

I enjoyed reading this book, however it is a hard plot to follow. I give this book a 2 stars out of 4 stars.Vivid imagery is one of this book's strengths. I enjoyed the very in depth descriptions of the scenery, characters, and even emotions felt by the main character. That being said. I feel as long keeping up with the story line was nearly impossible. As soon as one character and plot line was established, another was immediately introduced and left me wondering what happened to the first plot line.

In the beginning we are introduced to Will as he is home with his parents who are obsessed with searching for his twin sister. The characters Damian and Dea are introduced as Will's pets and closest friends. However, almost immediately the plot changes to where Will travels to Echoland, finds his sister, and is left at an orphanage to await instructions from a random stranger he will meet. His sister makes random appearances throughout the entirety of the book and is almost an afterthought.

The book read as a science fiction fantasy. I enjoyed the different ideas such as other realms existing, the main character becoming a hero,fighting stereotypes such as the half echo/half human, etc. However, it was basically like reading subplots that never concluded. I felt as though if the author had picked just one aspect of the story and focused on it, the book would've been better. Instead you have stories within the story that never really make sense. The imagination it took to produce this kind of story is incredible, but it would've been more effective if the plot hadn't had so many twists.

I gave this book 2 stars because of the lack of conclusion and difficulty in following the plot. Had it been more of a straightforward plot with a better conclusion, I would have gladly given it 4 stars as I believe the basic idea of this story is great. Thank you for allowing me to review this book.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Griffithb1216's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”