Review by Calypso Terrier -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Calypso Terrier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calypso-terrier.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Review by Calypso Terrier -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by Calypso Terrier » 20 Oct 2018, 00:13

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In a sudden flash, children all over the world have mysteriously disappeared. They are never to be seen again, and nobody knows where they have gone. One day, a boy comes back from the missing. His name is Will Cleary, and he is being hunted far and wide for who he is. In the fictional The Crystilleries of Echoland, Will journeys to a mystifying parallel universe to set things right and discover who he truly is. Dew Pellucid writes a captivating and beautiful story that will suck you in on the first page.

Will and Emmy Cleary are two twins living happy lives with their parents. One night, they suddenly disappear, along with hundreds of other children. When Will returns back to his home, he is unsure of what had happened and where he had gone. All he knows is that he must find a way to get his twin sister, Emmy, back home. As Will sets out to find Emmy, he journeys into a strange and magical place, known as Echoland. Unknowingly to Will, the fate of millions of people rests on his hands as he throws himself deeper into the mystery to find and save his sister.

The setting and the main concept of The Crystilleries of Echoland is based on the relationship between a sound and an echo. When there is a sound, there is an echo. In the story, every person on Earth has a reflection living a completely different life and in a different universe. The universe where the reflections live is called Echoland. Each living person on Earth is known as a Sound, and their reflections are known as Echoes. When a Sound is born, so is an Echo. When a Sound dies, so the Echo dies as well. Echoland is where Will’s sister, Emmy, and hundreds of other kids are trapped in. The parallel world concept leads the story and creates an interesting and magical atmosphere.

I really enjoyed reading The Crystilleries of Echoland, and the plot is very interesting. I like Will’s character because he is brave and willing to go to extreme efforts for the sake of his sister. I can tell that Dew Pellucid put a lot of thought into creating the characters and the setting, and everything is well described. Additionally, there are illustrations in the book to accompany with every chapter. The pictures are well drawn, and it helps the readers to visualize the setting and characters of the book. The only things that I disliked were that the plot was slow at places, and I got confused in the storyline. At the beginning of the book, the action was fast-paced and exciting. This pulled me into the story and made me wonder what was going to happen next. But as the plot continued, some parts of the story got dragged and slow. Additionally, I sometimes got confused over the dialogue and who was who. Apart from some small mistakes, I think Dew Pellucid did a great job writing The Crystilleries of Echoland.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this book as well as its illustrations. I rate The Crystilleries of Echoland 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading about Will’s adventures, and the separate world of Echoland is very fascinating. I think the writing and the storytelling could have been better in places, but it didn’t hold back my experience with the book too much. The Crystilleries of Echoland is a fantasy book along with avid illustrations, and it is best for children to enjoy. Therefore, I recommend this book to children from elementary to middle school. Overall, I think that all readers can get something out of reading this book, and The Crystilleries of Echoland is definitely worth a try.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Calypso Terrier's review? Post a comment saying so!

hellocats
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hellocats » 30 Nov 2018, 19:54

Interesting review. I liked how you notice a lot of details. The book cover seems badly illustrated, but I guess you can never judge a book on its cover.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”