Official Review: Pricilla,Trials Of A Praying Mother

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Official Review: Pricilla,Trials Of A Praying Mother

Post by Dolor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pricilla,Trials Of A Praying Mother" by Earnestine J. Starnes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Earnestine J. Starnes' Pricilla, Trials Of A Praying Mother is a tale for young adults that gave me a feeling of a nonfiction book - a memoir with a religious theme. I got carried away with this sentimental tale of Pricilla's trials. It was published by Xulon Press, on February 26, 2018.

Paul and Pricilla were high school sweethearts. They traveled in diverse directions when he went into the navy. Pricilla, a woman of faith, got married to Marcus, a man who had an unhappy childhood. When their marriage took a toll on Pricilla, he started complaining daily about everything. He became unfaithful to her and so strict to their two sons. Life threw a lot of lemons at Pricilla. How could she turn some things around in her favor?

The contents of this book consisted of 51 pages only, so I finished reading it instantly. It was a gripping read. I can't seem to move on from replaying the story in my mind. I was engaged throughout the entire story and was swept away by mixed emotions of love, anger, happiness, sadness, hope, and hatred. All characters were realistic with their strengths and weaknesses. Pricilla was my favorite character. I admired her resilience and her strong faith. Marcus was the most despicable character in this book. I was hoping not to bump on someone like him.

"I know for a fact that He will never leave me nor forsake me. Nothing is impossible for God to fix. If God can’t fix it, then it will never be fixed." This is a thought-provoking quote from this book. In my opinion, there is nothing broken that God can't fix. I think what Pricilla meant when she said "God can't fix it" was her marriage with Marcus. They were really not meant for each other.

Earnestine did an excellent job in pulling the readers into the story. Even though the plot wasn't complex, Pricilla's trials had me engaged in the story. Nowadays, there are women experiencing the trials she encountered. All women could learn vast ideas from the pertinent adversities in Pricilla's life. The story was too short to be filmed, but the lessons in this book were timely and worth reflecting upon, and the ending was tied up neatly.

The narration was a blend from the perspectives of Pricilla and Earnestine, but I was not confused. There was nothing I disliked in this book, but I suggest a very thorough proofreading and editing. I found a lot of capitalization, punctuation, spelling, and grammar errors peppered in the contents. The errors did not allow me to give this book a perfect rating. I rate Earnestine J. Starnes' Pricilla, Trials Of A Praying Mother 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to the women out there who are dealing with trials in their married life. However, those who are allergic to a dramatic and emotional read won't find this book interesting. Indeed, as you conditionally love yourself, you will attract others to love you unconditionally.

Pricilla,Trials Of A Praying Mother
View: on Bookshelves

Like Dolor's review? Post a comment saying so!
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

Wow. A sentiment tale indeed. Looks interesting
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I am not a fan of books where God is touted as the solution to our problems. Further, I am skeptical about a tale that deals with so many emotions in just 51 pages. I am going to skip this one. Thanks for the insightful review!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir

Post by T_stone »

As you've recommended this book to women with trials in their marriage, I think married men should read as well, so as to know how and how not to treat their wife after marriage. So much to learn in just 51 pages. Good review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

This sounds like an inspirational memoir. Though, I think there seems to be a lot going on in just fifty one pages.

Thank you for the great review.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Franc93 »

For one to summarize matters pertaining to spirituality in just fifty one pages is a remarkable feat. The target audience is women but i am of a particular mindset that the message cuts across the board. Good review though
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sounds like a thought-provoking read. I would love to see how Priscilla turned the lemons into lemonade! Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
jeff odongo
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-odongo.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by jeff odongo »

I think the book is well placed to be read by women that are in marriage or planning to get married. For me I am a great believer that God does the impossible for those who believe in him, especially for those undergoing trials.
Great review
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like an interesting read, and I'm sure that it will help many women who find themselves in those situations. Thanks for the review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Too bad the star lovers drift apart, but it's really interesting how Priscilla cope up. It sounds like it's based on a try story. Thank you for your delightful review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”