Official Review: The Catarbie Conspiracy by Sabrina deSouza

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: The Catarbie Conspiracy by Sabrina deSouza

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Catarbie Conspiracy" by Sabrina deSouza.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Catarbie Conspiracy: Book One of the Houkura Series by Sabrina deSouza is a sci-fi adventure book that describes life on a fictional planet called Houkura. The story began with Danika, Finn, and Robb, who were all interested for different reasons in the Marjory House that had a fire years ago in a fictional town of Dartona, Australia. They suddenly found themselves on a beach in a different world. They did not know where they were or how they got there. The three young adults explored the new world, Houkura and met many of the Impex people there. They found themselves more and more involved in the lives of the people and learned of their strange illness, called Catarbie that made people become catatonic, violent, and eventually disappear. The threesome encountered mutant and dangerous plants and saw different kinds of animals. The author did not describe the Houkura people as alien looking, rather they looked like humans from Earth, but they had special ways to communicate and had different powers. Their houses were very unique, and it was like the three humans were in a foreign country, having to learn even how the toilets worked.

You will need to read the book to find out about some of the Impex people of Houkura: Zoltan, Krysta, and Tahreen, a family with special magical powers; Gredat, the boy who first helped the three from Earth; and Boltza, the strange man with dark powers. Read and find out what the “weesas”, “baracs”, and the “karachs” are and how they attack people and animals. There were many different characters included in the story, and I found that the glossary added at the end of the book helped me to keep clear about the main characters, animals, plants, and special terminology used.

I liked best the discovery of special powers that Danika and Robb had that were developed as needed, for protection and survival on the alien planet. Teamwork and cooperation among the people were necessary to survive attacks. I liked that even though the author used very descriptive and detailed language in writing of the environments of Houkura, with its mutant plants and strange creatures, there were colorful pictures in almost every chapter of the book. The author also has an image gallery of the main characters, mutant plants, creatures, and more on her website (www. Houkura.com). I found it interesting that she also included her sketches of concepts that she sent to the illustrator with the end results.

If I had to state what I liked the least about the book, it would be that in the beginning, the author used repetitive phrases to describe Finn putting his hands on his hips as he was talking, and Danika’s overuse of “God” as an expression. Though these things may have been describing their character, it was too repetitive for me, and I didn’t see the need for it. I was glad to see these things lessened further into the book. There wasn’t anything else that I did not like.

The book was well edited, as I only detected one comma missing and one missing letter from a word in the whole book. The author used Australian English spellings, such as, “focussed”, “realised”, “rationalising”, and “chequered”. Some of the words used were different from American English, such as, “rucksack” for a backpack and “firies” for firefighters. However, these differences did not affect my understanding of the book, they simply increased my vocabulary.

Older children, teens, young and older adults would all like this book. People who like a mixture of fantasy, magic, mystery, science fiction, faith, suspense, and adventure will like The Catarbie Conspiracy the best. People who prefer reading non-fiction books would like this book the least. I rate The Catarbie Conspiracy 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading the well-written story, and I liked the adventure of Danika, Robb, and Finn on the planet Houkura, as I did not know what to expect next. I am looking forward to reading the second book in the series, The Tcholla.

The Catarbie Conspiracy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

This is a fantasy book up my alley. The strange disease sounds mysterious and a set up for a great story. The repetitiveness would be annoying to me as well. Thanks for your review.
Redwoods99
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Redwoods99 »

This is my first reading of a review here. I am all kind is new. Thank you for giving me a great review as something to live up to in the near future. Your description was great as were the explanations. You made me want to read this. Thank you again.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Interesting review. The book sounds like a good read for teens and adults who enjoy these kinds of stories. I think I might enjoy reading the adventures of Danika, Finn, and Robb in this strange world. As it is a mix of fantasy, sci-fi, mystery and adventure it should be an entertaining novel.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds very intriguing. I want to hear more about this mysterious illness and different world. It's a genre I enjoy. Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Science Fiction stories always sound so crazy when they are summarized. The story sounds really cool and you did a great job describing the story and the flow of the book. This sounds like a Sci-fi book I may enjoy. Thanks for the great review!
Rick Swan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rick-swan.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Rick Swan »

Based in your review, this is going in my bookshelf.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Excellent, detailed review! This sounds like a well-developed fantasy novel for those who love adventures in strange lands with unusual creatures and characters.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for the review. I like reading books that deal with living on other planets especially when it comes to a point where humans have to interact with aliens. I will have to consider reading this.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This seems like a science fiction novel where the author has created a cohesive world of his own which completely immerses the reader. Thanks for the review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The book sounds enchanting and seems to have a lot going on. I wonder whether the 3 humans make it back to earth. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Sounds as if the author did an excellent job with the world-building there, with it all coming to life so much that she had sketches to send to the artist. This must make for an immersive read. Names like "weesas" and "karachs" give this a feel of The Time Machine. Thanks for an interesting review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

This seems to have the elements of a unique piece that could appeal to fans of the sci-fi genre, which is crucial especially if meant to pave the way for interest on the series' subsequent instalments. The fact that it's got the Aussie touches and that it reminds me of a fantastical story that my two sons would constantly talk about but wouldn't want to write also make this book quite close to home. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”