Official Review: Brooklyn Salt by James Scorzelli

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Brooklyn Salt by James Scorzelli

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Brooklyn Salt" by James Scorzelli.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“You are the salt of the earth...and the light of the world.” Matthew 5:13-14

Joel Somers is a sixteen-year-old ex-gang member who is struggling with his newfound Christian faith. Brooklyn Salt is a young adult novel by James Scorzelli following Joel's journey as he wrestles between good and evil from some unlikely sources including a gentle homeless man and a smooth-talking stranger. Can Joel learn to be salt and light in the midst of the turmoil he is facing?

After spending several years with the street gang, the Blades, Joel is unsure of himself when it came to Christianity. He believes God wants him to share his faith, but since his attempt with his mother only angered her, inwardly he hopes God has an easier task for him. His friend, Beth Thompson, and her brother, Nate, seem to have a handle on this Christian stuff. When they confront Joel about his recent altercation with the school bully, Vernon, he feels conflicted about how to defend himself while practicing his beliefs and fears he will never measure up. When a mysterious stranger, Seth, offers him a job in Manhattan that seems too good to be true, Joel prays for guidance. Trying to continue on the path he believes God set before him, Joel visits his father in prison and tells him about Jesus. When his father laughs in his face, Joel is frustrated and saddened. After he leaves the prison, Vernon picks another fight, and this time, Joel tries to turn the other cheek, but the bully won't back down. Badly beaten and angrier than ever, Joel and his new friend Grub, who has also been bullied by Vernon, run away to Manhattan to take Seth up on his job offer. The boys' whereabouts are unknown when Joel's mother is in a serious car accident. Meanwhile, they are beginning to realize that though the job with Seth has some dangerous strings attached to it, they are not alone.

This character-building novel was an enjoyable read that moved at a fast pace. I found the characters Joel and Grub to be genuine and relatable to young adults. On the other hand, the Thompson family came across a little too perfect and therefore, were less relatable. While the plot was somewhat predictable, I appreciated the age-appropriate themes it represented including faith, family, friendship, bullying, good conquering evil, and dealing with conflict. As a parent, I valued the positive message conveyed through the pages.

What I enjoyed most about this book was the creativity of using the supporting characters, Abner and Seth, to represent good and evil to the young adult audience. However, I would have liked to have seen more depth displayed by Abner's character, which would be consistent with the good conquering evil theme. The reader was left with no doubts regarding Seth's sleazy character, and I felt that altruistic Abner deserved equal attention, if not more.

What I was missing from this story was a more realistic picture of the struggle Joel would face as an ex-gang member. While there weren't any noticeable gaps in the plot, the few times that Joel's previous gang involvement was mentioned were not adequate to lend credibility. Including a few more details from the prequel, Double-Edged Blade, would have added an element of authenticity and helped the book to stand on its own. Additionally, the fewer instances of interaction with the supporting character, Abner, were unbalanced in contrast to Seth's role in the plot. Having not read the first book, I got the impression that it gave Abner's character a larger role, and this book would have benefitted from doing the same.

The book appears to have been professionally edited, as I didn't note any grammatical errors. However, there were formatting issues resulting in numerous random spaces in words, which was distracting. Combined with the previously mentioned issues, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to young adults and readers who enjoy Christian fiction. It would also be a good book study for church youth groups.

Brooklyn Salt
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

It sounds like an inspirational story tackling the difficulty kids may face when confronting topics like gangs, bullying, and differentiating between good and evil. Thanks for your insightful review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

BookReader+6 wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 12:56 It sounds like an inspirational story tackling the difficulty kids may face when confronting topics like gangs, bullying, and differentiating between good and evil. Thanks for your insightful review!
You're welcome. Thank you for stopping by and for commenting.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

That might be a tough line to walk. Making it realistic enough to realize that he's going to struggle as an ex-gang member without being overly gruesome or violent. It sounds like a good enough book, but it isn't something I'm looking for right now. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 13:55 That might be a tough line to walk. Making it realistic enough to realize that he's going to struggle as an ex-gang member without being overly gruesome or violent. It sounds like a good enough book, but it isn't something I'm looking for right now. Thanks, though.
Thanks for your comment.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Bullying is such a common issue everywhere and it needs to be restrained, especially in schools. Laws should be enforced to control this menace, even amongst the young. If a parent has a child that has this problem, then it is their duty to prevent the child from taking this path. Thank you for your insightful review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

crediblereading2 wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 16:42 Bullying is such a common issue everywhere and it needs to be restrained, especially in schools. Laws should be enforced to control this menace, even amongst the young. If a parent has a child that has this problem, then it is their duty to prevent the child from taking this path. Thank you for your insightful review.
I appreciate your comment.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This book is worth reading. The struggles to be the light and salt is REAL. Young adults who are Christian will relate with this book. Thanks for your detailed review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Claire_baja
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Claire_baja »

I somehow relate joel. At the age of 16 his facing that kind of problem. I remember when i was 13 yrs old backthen . I always incourage my parents to go to church i discussed every detail that i know about Gods words but they refuse to listen.and they always told me that . I should pray for them because they can't go to church with me. :(
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Being a non-Christian, I don't think this book will resonate with me. Thanks for the review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 19:39 This book is worth reading. The struggles to be the light and salt is REAL. Young adults who are Christian will relate with this book. Thanks for your detailed review.
Yes, I agree. Thank you for stopping by and for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Claire_baja wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 22:25 I somehow relate joel. At the age of 16 his facing that kind of problem. I remember when i was 13 yrs old backthen . I always incourage my parents to go to church i discussed every detail that i know about Gods words but they refuse to listen.and they always told me that . I should pray for them because they can't go to church with me. :(
You know, I had a similar experience, Claire. Based on your comment, I think you will appreciate how the book ends.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 22:54 Being a non-Christian, I don't think this book will resonate with me. Thanks for the review!
I understand. I appreciate your comment.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

It sounds like a good read for young adults. From your review I understand that the character development could have been better for some of the supporting characters. Do you find that this will be detrimental to those who have not read the prequel?
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

1ditzyrn wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 14:13 It sounds like a good read for young adults. From your review I understand that the character development could have been better for some of the supporting characters. Do you find that this will be detrimental to those who have not read the prequel?
As a reader, I felt I would have been better informed had I read the prequel, though it wasn't necessary to understand the plot. Thank you for your comment.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”