Official Review: Treasure of the magical mine moppets

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Treasure of the magical mine moppets

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Treasure of the magical mine moppets" by KJ Blocker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

KJ Blocker's Treasure of the Magical Mine Moppets is a whimsical children's story that teaches the importance of family, friendship, and kindness. The story begins with Tom Powers, a farmer who hopes to end world hunger with Ubercorn, which grows like a forest on the Powers' Farm. Tom cares deeply for his wife, Mary Ann, and their son, Jimmy, but they tend to get lost amidst Tom's big plans for his crop.

When Tom's estranged father, Pappy, suddenly reenters his life, Tom finds himself caught up in a personal vendetta against Pappy held by Mr. Withers, the conniving president of the local bank. To settle an old score, Mr. Withers intends to repossess both Tom's farm and Pappy's salt mine, the latter of which is home to a host of magical beings known as the Mine Moppets. With the Moppets' help, can the Powers family pull together and take down the greedy Mr. Withers?

Treasure of the Magical Mine Moppets is a charming story that is suited perfectly for elementary school children. Reading this book felt reminiscent of childhood favorites such as Charlotte's Web, and I believe that it would be a perfect choice for a bedtime story or classroom read-along. The plot is simple and straightforward, but also detailed enough to spark the reader's curiosity and garner genuine concern for the main characters and their outcomes.

This book also contains some valuable lessons for children, such as the importance of honesty and treating others well. The significance of personal decision-making is also well demonstrated within Tom, Pappy, and Mr. Withers. Each character grapples with life's disappointments in his own way, and their choices ultimately determine whether or not they are able to overcome their respective challenges.

The book is well written as a whole, and contains only a few errors that could be easily corrected. The style of writing and the vocabulary are best suited for elementary school children in third through fifth grade. Children in Kindergarten through second grade would best appreciate the story with the help of a teacher or parent.

I have only one minor criticism of this book, which is that it would benefit from the addition of a few more pictures. The illustrations within are lovely and tie in well with the story itself, but they are sparse and don't include all of the characters. A few more illustrations would provide a more complete feel to the book and enhance the overall enjoyment of the story.

Treasure of the Magical Mine Moppets is a wonderful children's book, and I award it 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to parents and teachers who wish to share a story that is meaningful, yet simple and fun, with their children or students.

Treasure of the magical mine moppets
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This seems like an apt book for young children. However, I am not the target audience for this book. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's really too bad there aren't more illustrations as the cover is lovely. Still, it sounds like a great story, very enjoyable for the age group. Thanks for a lovely review. I'm pretty far out of the target range, but books like this are still enjoyable from time to time.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I really like the idea behind this book. Thank you for this review.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

I love children's book that contain important lessons like this one. Children need to know the importance of being honest.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

This book sounds like a great read for kids. Thank you for your review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

Thank you for your review. This sounds like a very whimsical story and would be great for young people as well as those who may, at times, feel like a young person.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

Thanks for the review. This story reminds me of the plot of the new Mary Poppins movie, which I enjoyed, so I might try this book.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A YA adventure revolving around a magical world where corn grows high and magical creatures live underground sounds delightful. I loved Charlotte's Web, so it is good to know this book is just as good. That it contains valuable lessons and well edited is another plus. Too bad there weren't enough illustrations. I am not target audience, but I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

This does sound like a charming story, and I'm glad that it includes some of life's valuable lessons. The good editing is a bonus. Thank you for your very interesting review!
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

Children's book isn't part of my genre,but this one reminds me of the good old days when i used to enjoy bedside stories. The review isn't detailed enough though.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

This sounds like a great YA book. The story contains life lessons and the illustrations really add to the story. Thank you for the interesting and informative review.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

"Treasure of the magical mine moppets" by KJ Blocker sounds interesting and full of lessons for the kids. Although kids would have loved more captivating illustrations if it were included, still, it is full of good morals.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

Based on the review I am not sure if this book is something that I would enjoy reading. I like reading children's books. I don't like how it was compared to Charlotte's Web because I didn't like that book. I also am not very interested in the story. I think that I will pass on reading this book.
Sumbule1
Currently Reading: The Five Musketeers
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumbule1.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Sumbule1 »

For me, the story is really enthusiastic and interesting, I wish to dedicate this novel to family that is seeking new settlement and young children on how to be kind and generous. Hope is the best book of the day.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”