Official Review: What No One Says by Dee Aurora

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: What No One Says by Dee Aurora

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What No One Says" by Dee Aurora.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What No One Says is a book of poems. The poet, Dee Aurora, writes a series of flowing verses that depict themes such as depression, abuse, loss, grief, and healing. Her poems dictate the unsaid thoughts and feelings of victims, children, mothers, and the brokenhearted. Some poems also reflect certain ideals of beauty and love. Although her poems reflect human experiences, she uses the elements of nature to evoke thoughts of encouragement and serenity. The aim of this book is to be a voice for people who may be silently struggling.

The poems in this book took me on a whirlwind of emotions. A diverse range of themes was explored and due to this, I found several poems that I could personally relate to. The poet wrote with such simplicity and truthfulness that she could have been a silent witness in my own life. Simple lines such as, “I know about the times you lay awake, drawing in your shuddering breaths, because of things you couldn’t take,” made me think about my past, especially the nights where I felt like I needed to cry without anyone else knowing. Some of the characters in her poems were nameless as the first person perspective was used. This made it easy for me to assimilate myself and my own experiences into the poem. This poetic strategy helped to conjure up my emotions in a powerful way.

The poems in this book were short and easy to understand, with just the right amount of poetic flare. I appreciated this because after reading just a few lines of each poem, I could recognize which theme was being portrayed. Therefore, it was easy for me to pick out the ones that resonated with me. Not all of the poems rhyme, but the messages in each one were clear.

One of the best features of this book was that the poet placed an emphasis on women’s struggles in the majority of the poems. I liked that she reflected upon beauty standards, society’s ideals of women, sexuality, and abuse because so many females in our society can relate to these themes. The poet also motivated women in her poems. She let them know that they are not alone in their experiences. She spoke about real love and encouraged her readers to teach love to their children because every generation has the opportunity to make the world better. I found this to be a very profound and uplifting concept for mothers and teachers.

There were not many errors in the book apart from missing commas and typos. However, the layout could have been revised because some poems were written in different font sizes, some were in bold type, and others were in italics. Furthermore, some poems were aligned to the left of the page, while others were aligned to the center. Due to this, 3 out of 4 stars is the rating I am giving this book. Once it has achieved a more consistent layout, I think it would be a good book for older teen girls and young adult women to read. Victims of abuse, oppression, and depression would also find solace from reading the poems.

What No One Says
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I'm not a fan of poems since I find them difficult to portray their meanings, but it's good to learn that these ones are easy to read and understand. Interesting review!
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 02:40 I'm not a fan of poems since I find them difficult to portray their meanings, but it's good to learn that these ones are easy to read and understand. Interesting review!
Thank you :)
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Wow!!! A person could go through a series of emotions just by reading these poems. This is a very inspirational book indeed. Thank you for your awesome review of this book.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Poetry that evokes a lot of emotion is my favorite kind to read. Thanks for your excellent review.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

It sounds like this collection of poems can reach almost anybody. It also sounds like they cover a wide range of topics. Do they all sound like they come from the same author, or do they sound like they come from different authors?
:character-ariel:
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

OH MY GOD I'M DYING TO REVIEW A POETRY COLLECTION. Having said that, brilliant review!
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

420waystoreachthesun wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 08:07 OH MY GOD I'M DYING TO REVIEW A POETRY COLLECTION. Having said that, brilliant review!
I hope you get one SOON!! Thank you :D
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

I love that the book includes a woman's struggles and the unfair standards set for us in society. It's definitely worth a read.
nanglada
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanglada.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by nanglada »

I'm not much into poems, but I would love to read this collection. The struggles women go through are so important and I love that it focuses on them. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”