Official Review: the good don bad don by don demarest

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: the good don bad don by don demarest

Post by 1ditzyrn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "the good don bad don" by don demarest.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The “Good Don”-“Bad Don” Life Lessons by Don Demarest is a story about the life experiences of the author from childhood to adulthood. In this story, Don shares memories from his days as a child sports player and translates these scenarios into life lessons for the adult reader. The timeline of these memories then carry on into adulthood, and Don uses his past experiences to help him progress onward in life.

Demarest uses his experiences as a young sports player to teach lessons based on his actions. These actions either come from the “Good Don” or the “Bad Don”, but he doesn’t always specify which one and leaves the reader to make the determination. The storyline encompasses several decades, with the story bouncing between different stages of Don’s life. Most lessons are learned and stem from his childhood, but there are a few lessons he shares from later in life.

While I found the stories interesting, I found this book very difficult to read. The author jumps from one time period to the next and then back again, making for a confusing read. I didn’t always feel that the memory he was sharing really matched up with the “lesson” he was trying to teach. I also was a little confused by some of the memories he shared. While I can understand there are lots of life lessons to be learned from playing organized sports, most of the stories were centered more around how Don played the sport or about altercations he had with others rather than what he learned from playing a team sport.

The book was also difficult to read because of the writing style. The book was written as if you were sitting around with an older gentleman and listening to him regale you with stories of his past. The sentences often either ran together or were incomplete. The sentences had little to no punctuation, and random words were capitalized inappropriately throughout the story. Grammar and spelling were also an issue with this story.

Because of the many issues I had with this story, I rate it 2 out of 4 stars. With the help of a good editor who can assist with organizing the storyline appropriately and addressing the grammatical errors, this book has the potential to be a great story. It does have some redeeming moments and a few good “life lessons” that we all can benefit from, but one must be able to look past the numerous flaws that plague this story in order to find them. For those who have great issue with poorly edited stories, this book is definitely not recommended.

the good don bad don
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like 1ditzyrn's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I hate when the story jumps around too much and causes it to be a confusing read. I think the author had a good plan for this story, sharing memories and translating them into life lessons, but something like that has to be done just right for the reader to be able to get absorbed into what they're reading.
Mac :techie-reference:
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

A book that is difficyult t read is a turnoff for me. Thanks for the review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
1ditzyrn

Post by 1ditzyrn »

mac83 wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 08:51 I hate when the story jumps around too much and causes it to be a confusing read. I think the author had a good plan for this story, sharing memories and translating them into life lessons, but something like that has to be done just right for the reader to be able to get absorbed into what they're reading.
I agree, the jumping around does make it difficult to lose yourself in the story. Thanks for the reply!
1ditzyrn

Post by 1ditzyrn »

topdan30 wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 09:22 A book that is difficyult t read is a turnoff for me. Thanks for the review
I really wish it was better edited, because some of the stories are interesting. Thanks for the comment!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”