Official Review: Dragon Scroll of Nepthali by B.L. Madole

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Dragon Scroll of Nepthali by B.L. Madole

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dragon Scroll of Nepthali" by B.L. Madole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dragon Scroll of Nepthali by B. L. Madole is a young adult, fantasy, and action-packed novel. It reminds me of a very long fairy tale, which includes kings, queens, castles, and dragons, of long ago. It is a story of good and evil; of prosperity and poverty; and of hope and despair.

The story began with the background of two brother dragons, Orpheus and Natas, who protected humans and gave them wonderful resources. After the Great Goblin War, Natas became jealous of Orpheus and was filled with resentment, envy, and pride. He forced Orpheus to write a scroll filled with his evil demands, but Orpheus sealed it with some magic of his own. Natas was put into a long, deep sleep and would awaken whenever within the castle, twins would be born. Orpheus made a magic sword from one of his scales and gave it to the king of Nepthali. The Dragon Scroll and the sword together would one day protect the kingdom. The people turned against Orpheus, so he kissed the king good-bye and left a heart-shaped imprint, which would mark the true royal bloodline.

The Chief Royal Scribe shared the message of the Dragon Scroll to give hope that one day Orpheus would return. Later, the Dragon Scroll was stored away and forgotten by most of the people and many thought it was a fairy tale. However, the story was passed down through the years to Amalek, who told the story of Orpheus and Natas to his daughter Mitzy. Mitzy loved the story and often quoted Orpheus,
“A hope which is pure and true shall not disappoint.“
Treacherous and conniving bands of humans and half-human/half-goblins, called the Bara, attacked the innocent and good people of Nepthali for many years. The evil Narok and Mezrah both wanted the throne and the power of the Dragon Scroll. Most of the story told of their evil and murderous deeds, which paralleled alongside and intertwined in the life of Mitzy and the castle occupants. Mitzy’s mother became a servant to the queen and Mitzy grew up in the castle. Mitzy got to know Prince Roffius and some of the Royal Guards of the castle. Twins were born in the castle and Natas awakens! The story really unfolded after this with a lot of action and suspense. There was just enough romance in the book that it didn’t take away from anything, rather it added to the feel of chivalry in ancient times. One really needs to read the book to enjoy this story in depth.

There were many characters good and bad, intertwining with each other and within the story. The characters were well developed and I felt like I knew many of them personally. I received such satisfaction from reading this book. There seemed to be no lag times, as the happenings pushed forward and there was always plenty of action. I would recommend it to young adults, as well as to older adults. Anyone who likes the old fairy tale style of stories that include dragons or just a good story will enjoy this book. I found that it should be placed on the top of a list of such books to read. Due to the murderous actions and killings, this book would least appeal to small children.

I best liked that the book was extremely well written, not only grammatically, but also from the descriptive language used and in the plot. I liked that if one wanted to find some parallels in the story to some truths about hope in life, one could let their imagination soar. I rate Dragon Scroll of Nepthali a strong 4 out of 4 stars. It is difficult to believe that this is B. L. Madole’s first novel. I cannot think of anything that I did not like about the book unless I count for the fact that a lot of good people died innocently by the hands of murderous and ruthless men. The book deserves a perfect score for the detailed, meaningful, and highly entertaining story.

Dragon Scroll of Nepthali
View: on Bookshelves

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

A hope which is pure and true shall not disappoint.
I especially like that quote you've cited. Further, a well-written, perfectly-rated fairy tale piece like this book is worth a second look. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

This book sounds like an exciting read. I need to understand what exactly happened between the dragon brothers, so will definitely take a look at this. Thank you for your great review!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

I love fantasy and fairytales and this sounds like it would be such a lovely read. Your review makes it seem like it has a lot to offer with the beautifully descriptive writing and classic fairytale elements such as dragons, goblins, rivalry and kings and queens. I'll add this to my reading list, thank you for the review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

This rate is well deserving for this read. I really like the way you have summoned up this read. The premise is really great and I found your review resourceful to make a decision. I may not be a great fan of fantasy but I do love a good read that can create a new world. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It doesn't sound like there's anything about this story to dislike. It combines some of my favorite things - young adults, dragons, royalty. :) I'll put it on my list. Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

A well written book is a joy to the heart of readers. Thanks for the review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

topdan30 wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 09:27 A well written book is a joy to the heart of readers. Thanks for the review
Yes indeed!
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I love it when dragons are real characters and not a hurdle for the protagonist. I want to dive into this world. It feels very Dragon heart.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

This book sounds like a hit to me! I can't wait to read it. Great review!
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

I'm a sucker for a good dragon novel. This sounds like a lot of fun!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Love the storyline. The lack of downtime also appeals to me. Thanks for your review.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review! Sounds like it was a really good book. Seeing as I like the fantasy, dragon, action packed type books I should like this one as well. First novel and the characters were that developed as well, impressive. Enjoyed reading your review.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Sounds like an amazing book, the storyline is quite refreshing. I would like to read this one. Thanks for the exquisite review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

LV2R wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 01:57 There were many characters good and bad, intertwining with each other and within the story. The characters were well developed and I felt like I knew many of them personally. I received such satisfaction from reading this book. There seemed to be no lag times, as the happenings pushed forward and there was always plenty of action. I would recommend it to young adults, as well as to older adults. Anyone who likes the old fairy tale style of stories that include dragons or just a good story will enjoy this book. I found that it should be placed on the top of a list of such books to read. Due to the murderous actions and killings, this book would least appeal to small children.
Character development is one of the things I enjoy more in a book, so I think this is great. I love fairy tales and I think they have a deeper meaning than just stories for children. There's an awesome book about the psychological meaning of fairy tales by Bruno Bettelheim, if you're interested.

Great review, thanks!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”