Official Review: The Blue Barricade by Kesten E. Harris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Official Review: The Blue Barricade by Kesten E. Harris

Post by lavellan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Blue Barricade" by Kesten E. Harris.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Blue Barricade by Kesten E. Harris is the first installment in The Explorer series. This science fiction novel focuses on the adventures of Wander Locke, a young man who dreams of becoming an explorer. Exploration work would involve traveling through space in search of new worlds and people. However, Wander’s main motivation behind pursuing the profession is to find his younger sister. Wander became an orphan after his family was attacked by AIs, or Aggressive Intellectuals. He still holds hope that his sister is alive as her body was not found among the wreckage of his home. After being approached by the president, Wander sets off on a journey to recover an important shield generator from Mars. In exchange, the president promised to grant him status as an official explorer. With his best friend, Laura, and instructor, Manning, by his side, will Wander be able to successfully complete his mission?

The Blue Barricade was filled with action-packed and imaginative scenes. Harris was able to craft exciting fight scenes that kept you right at the forefront of the action. In addition, I enjoyed how Wander’s abilities were kept true to that of an unskilled teenager. In his fights with the knight, a mysterious figure intent on capturing him for the AI, Wander does not have the upper hand and must use his wits to get out of the situations. I also thought that the dynamic between Wander and Laura was believable and age-appropriate. I liked how they were able to joke around with each other, but still have serious moments. For example, the scene where Wander and Laura visited the graves of Wander’s family was touching and demonstrated the close bond between the pair. Additionally, Harris’ depiction of Mars was grounded in reality, but still had a touch of fantasy flair. I found the struggles of the Ruabrum, the native people of Mars, to be realistic. It seems typical that humans would have some sort of conflict with the native people of the planet.

In terms of faults, there was an issue regarding the mention of a minor character. Anderson Oak was the childhood bully of Wander. He was mentioned very briefly at the beginning of the book. However, Harris attempted to bring him up at a later point in an off-hand comment. As a result of this brevity, I never really understood the importance of his character and found myself having to flip back to the beginning of the novel to figure out who he was. This could have been rectified by providing a more substantive description of his character.

The Blue Barricade contained grammatical errors. While they weren’t severe enough to detract from my enjoyment of the novel, they indicated that the book still needs to undergo professional editing. The most frequent types of errors were comma misuse and missing words. One example included the use of ‘where’ instead of ‘were’.

I rate The Blue Barricade 3 out of 4 stars. I thought that the book was very imaginative and would serve as an excellent primer for young adult readers with an interest in the science fiction genre. However, the grammatical errors and minor character issues prevent me from giving it a higher rating. Readers who are not fans of novels that deal with space and aliens would probably not find this book appealing.

The Blue Barricade
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lavellan's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm not into science fiction and the errors and character issues would annoy me. Thank you for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a very engaging novel. It's interesting that here AI doesn't refer to Artificial Intelligence as it normally does. The minor character of Anderson Oak would confuse me as well. Was there even a point to including him in the story? Nevertheless, it still sounds worth looking into. Thanks for introducing us to this one!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I always like how in novels every character is somehow important to the storyline but in real life we know that there are characters that just don't seem to fit in anywhere but still are there just because - there is a lot of comedy that highlights this. That came to mind when you mentioned the bully thing.
I most say, I really enjoyed your review. The book sounds fun. Thanks for sharing.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

It sounds like the author forgot about Anderson Oak and hurriedly brought him up again in an offhand comment :lol: I like that the author was able to fill the book with action-packed scenes and detailed fight scenes as I find that authors seem to have the most trouble in this area. Thank you for your review!
prhyme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prhyme.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by prhyme »

I love the story. The idea of adventure thrills me alot.Anyway, great review
"Lock up your libraries if you like;but there is no gate,no lock,no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind."
-Virginia Woolf
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

This sounds like a fun read. It's really only since joining this book club that I have started reading science fiction, and I am quite enjoying the genre. Great review :D
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

The plot of this book is intriguing and I sense some realistic qualities to the writing. The errors on the other seem to be distracting. Thank you for your great review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I am very interested in seeing what Mars is like in this book and to see the space battles. The basic idea of a man looking for a lost loved one wanting to become a great explorer gives this story many directions to go in. Look forward to see how he fares and if his sister is alive.
sylviab98
Favorite Book: Storm and Silence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sylviab98.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by sylviab98 »

I really enjoy Science Fiction themed books! This one sounds great, as it has a lot of action and fight scenes and the storyline itself sound promising :)
Nice review, really enjoyed reading it
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Thanks for the great review. I love the concept of the story you gave.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”