Official Review: Jack Dawkins by Terry Ward

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Jack Dawkins by Terry Ward

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jack Dawkins" by Terry Ward.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Charles Dickens’ well-known classic, Oliver Twist, Jack Dawkins, also known as The Artful Dodger, is seen toward the end of the 43rd chapter during his trial reducing the courtroom to hysterics with his derisive and rumbustious behavior. He goes as far as to threaten the magistrates, warning that he wouldn’t show them a half-penny worth of mercy as his, “attorney is a-breakfasting this morning with the wice-president of the House of Commons...” He insists that he will, without a doubt, make a parliamentary business out of it. Jack is then last seen being whisked away, wearing a grin of great glee and self-approval.

Terry Ward’s Jack Dawkins picks up from that last scene of the Dodger, taking readers back to the times of Oliver and Jack. But this time, Jack Dawkins is the central focus of the narrative, while Oliver Twist and Mr. Brownlow are featured as supporting characters. Other characters from Oliver Twist as well as some characters from other books by Charles Dickens play minor roles while others are mentioned in passing. In revisiting the amusing and memorable character of Jack, Ward’s novel offers a compelling account of the adventures and misadventures that may have befallen Mr. Dawkins after his sentencing. But not before readers are propelled to the forefront of a buzzing crowd pressing on a scaffold, attempting to get the best view of the cut-throat execution of Fagin and two other thieves.

When Oliver receives news of Jack’s sentence, he pleads with his adoptive father to intervene with the mandatory transportation of Jack to Botany Bay, Australia. Although reluctant, his father agrees, but on the condition that Jack abides by his terms - one being that Jack leaves London and its temptations for Romney Marsh, where he’ll be given the opportunity to start afresh and earn an honest living. While on his way there, he meets a girl that he is quick to fancy, however, before he can settle into his new life and its rules. All hell breaks loose when a murder occurs, and someone rather familiar with Jack and his history aims to pin the murder on him to cover his own tail and dealings with the real killer. Adding to Jack’s worries, the girl he adores has been taken hostage by murderous villains. Having life deal him another bad hand, he struggles not to go back to his old antics as he sets out to rescue the girl he loves. Also, Jack’s dreams are increasingly haunted by images of his mother. This further stirs his desire to find his parents. Given how much time has passed since he last saw his mother and the fact that he has no clue of his parents whereabouts, will Jack ever reconcile with his family, and are they still alive?

The narrative is told from Jack Dawkins’ point of view in a conversational tone. This style of narration brought me closer to the character, as I felt like I was reading his diary when he shared his thoughts, actions, feelings, and the unfolding events. Through his account, Jack comes across as someone who isn’t proud of the trade that his circumstances had led him to. And although he appears to have some semblance of remorse and is more considerate and thoughtful than the Artful Dodger we once knew, he’s still plagued with doubt about his character, as he sometimes finds himself fighting the urge to use the skills he mastered while in Fagin’s gang. I also very much liked the character of Mr. Brownlow in the original, and I’m happy to report that even in Jack’s story and version of events, he is still the same good-natured and benevolent character we loved.

Historical figures such as Napoleon Bonaparte and the Duke of Wellington make their way into the story, giving us a glimpse of fascinating historical moments that impacted the characters’ lives, as well as Jack’s viewpoints on the events of his time. The author’s commendable use of description impressed me. His words painted vivid images of the characters and places they visited. I also appreciated the naturally flowing dialogues and especially enjoyed the humorous asides.

The narrative moves along at a good pace with twists and turns that kept me glued to the book. I loved the element of surprise and the shock I felt due to a few events that transpired, which caught me completely off guard.

Even though I initially felt that the development of Jack’s romantic relationship was a bit rushed, I eventually bought into their relationship and was rooting for them. However, down the line, another aspect that had influenced how their relationship had developed was brought to light; this new information stirred my emotions all the way to the end.

The strong accent/speech patterns and slang I had come to associate with Jack Dawkins felt diluted in this account. Given that he is the first-person narrator, I expected his narration to have the same level of dialect (complete with the grammatical errors and misspellings that Charles Dickens intentionally infused into Jack’s dialogues), especially because this story kicks off after his sentencing, thus, in my mind, his speech patterns should still be the same.

I did encounter a few minor errors, including those in the French dialogues the characters used while visiting France. Additionally, the table of contents and the glossary that would come in handy for those not familiar with some of the words/slang used in that period, including some of the other characters in books by Mr. Dickens are sadly placed at the end of the book.

All things considered, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed catching up with Jack Dawkins. The plot is intriguing and I believe readers who haven’t known Jack through Oliver Twist can still read and enjoy this one. And those who have read the original that inspired the author will appreciate the familiarities of old characters and get a fill for their curiosity of what may have become life for the Dodger after his trial.

Jack Dawkins
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The main protagonist seems to be a handful character. He reminded me of witty Jack in Pirate of the Caribbean except to the part of saving the girl, whom he loves. Lively review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

The French dialogues would aggravate me more than interest me. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

It's a thrill catching up with Jack Dawkins. Thank you for the enlightening and thorough review.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 06:55 The main protagonist seems to be a handful character. He reminded me of witty Jack in Pirate of the Caribbean except to the part of saving the girl, whom he loves. Lively review!
Haha, he is an unforgettable and extremely interesting character to follow.
AmySmiles wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 07:15 The French dialogues would aggravate me more than interest me. Thanks for the review.
The French dialogues were a small part of the book + they added to the sense of place.
Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 13:33 It's a thrill catching up with Jack Dawkins. Thank you for the enlightening and thorough review.
Thanks! It's a great read. There was not a single dull moment. That fact had me going back and forth between awarding it a 3-star or 4-star rating, but ultimately I had to factor in everything. You ought to read it too.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have to admit... I haven't read Oliver Twist. Phew... Glad I got that out of the way. :) This definitely sounds intriguing, and I'm glad you can enjoy it despite my lack of knowledge. Still, I wish that the author had stayed consistent as far as the dialogue from the original. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ritah
Currently Reading:

Post by ritah »

You should though hehe - it's a sin not to
have read it- jk 😁
But seriously, I read this novel from the viewpoint of someone who has read Oliver Twist, and I felt that the author gives enough backstory/ information for readers' new to the character to appreciate the story. Although readers' who have read the original will probably appreciate it on another level - I feel. Those same readers' will be most analytical and will compare. I kind of was when I mentioned Jack's strong dialect/ accent thing. I felt that it was toned down, and I wondered why because this book solidifies that the knows his stuff when it comes to Charles Dickens' works.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Ooh, these sorts of “write published fan fiction about classic novels” books are so interesting.

Thanks for a thoughtful review of one that seems well done.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”