Featured Official Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Featured Official Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by Christina Rose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine the existence of a parallel world, a world in which our mirrored images live. These mirrored images, these reflections, call themselves echoes, and we are their sounds. These translucent beings, these echoes, are alive within their realm only as long as their respective sounds live on in ours. So, if someone wants an echo gone, he need only go after the unsuspecting sound.

At the age of two, twin siblings Will and Emmy Cleary go missing. Their story can be found in what is known as the “Gravestone Book”. The “Gravestone Book” is also home to the great many unsolved disappearances that came before the twins' own. What makes the story of the Cleary children different, is that Will returns home, brought to safety by his trusty wolf and falcon. His parents never stop looking for his sister, and at the age of twelve, Will decides it is time for him to search as well.

The Crystilleries Of Echoland is a gripping coming-of-age novel written by Dew Pellucid, and I have the pleasure of reviewing the audible version of this award-winning teen fantasy. To be perfectly honest, I am not the biggest fan of audiobooks. However, the premise behind this novel is so intriguing that I could just not pass it up.

I have always found the idea of parallel worlds to be a fascinating one, and the author’s take is truly unique. Dew Pellucid has created a wondrous world of shimmering beauty and dark secrets that Will Cleary is only just learning about. There is danger around every corner, unforgettable characters, and constant tests of loyalties and friendships. The author has such imagination, and you can truly feel the emotions the characters feel, and see the incredible and sometimes terrifying scenes in which they encounter.

The Crystilleries Of Echoland is fast-paced and full of action. B.J. Harrison does a wonderful job with the narration. He manages to capture the unique personalities and voices of the various characters. His tone expresses the many different emotions flawlessly. He is not just reading this book aloud; he is truly telling a story.

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this young fantasy tale, and I gladly give the rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Although geared towards those of middle-school age, this book does have some pretty graphic action scenes throughout. If such scenes are bothersome, waiting to read the novel is best, or perhaps even skipping it. However, for those better able to handle the sometimes gruesome scenes of many fantasy novels, this book is a great choice. I think it will be most appreciated by fans of books similar to those within the Harry Potter collection.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Christina Rose's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I have to admit I am intrigued by stories that have parallel worlds, but that is about the only thing that is perking my interest about this book. Thanks for the review, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

Your review has made me interested in this story. I love when narration is good and it is a fast paced read. I am curious to Will's wolf and falcon helped him home and if his sistet will be found.
Mac :techie-reference:
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

AmySmiles wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 11:43 I have to admit I am intrigued by stories that have parallel worlds, but that is about the only thing that is perking my interest about this book. Thanks for the review, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I enjoyed the book, but understand it’s not for everyone. Thanks for checking out my review, and for sharing your thoughts. :)
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

mac83 wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 11:48 Your review has made me interested in this story. I love when narration is good and it is a fast paced read. I am curious to Will's wolf and falcon helped him home and if his sistet will be found.
It’s a good read if you enjoy fantasy novels. I think the book may be on Kindle Unlimited, if you’d rather read than listen. Thank you for your feedback. 😊
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You make this book sound absolutely gripping. I like a good audiobook for long trips. That's about the only time that I will listen to one. This one may be something I should put on my list for our next trip. Thanks so much for the lovely review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This is the first audiobook I’ve seen here! I’m sure that hearing the story helped bring the characters to life! Parallel worlds are certainly fascinating. I’d like to check this gripping novel out!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
clowe
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by clowe »

You make this book sound really interesting. The title is so fantastical it's almost a turnoff but the quick summary and review makes it intriguing.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I think plot certainly sounds interesting. I love trusty animal friends, and I definitely want to know what happened to Emmy a well as the other kids before her. Thank you for the great review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 15:14 You make this book sound absolutely gripping. I like a good audiobook for long trips. That's about the only time that I will listen to one. This one may be something I should put on my list for our next trip. Thanks so much for the lovely review!
Thank you. It’s hard for me to listen, even on long trips, lol. Between my own ADD and my kids talking to me, my attention doesn’t tend to stay focused on the audiobook, although I have tried. It took me a while to get through this one, due to my many distractions 🙃, but I enjoyed it. I hope you do, as well!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

What a very interesting book! I loved the Harry Potter series and almost every book with that style, so I think I'm going to like this one. I especially like reading about parallel worlds :P
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

stacie k wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 16:01 This is the first audiobook I’ve seen here! I’m sure that hearing the story helped bring the characters to life! Parallel worlds are certainly fascinating. I’d like to check this gripping novel out!
The narrator did a great job of bringing the characters to life, yes, but the author’s own imagination definitely deserves the most credit. 😊 I hope you’ll check it out!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

clowe wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 18:30 You make this book sound really interesting. The title is so fantastical it's almost a turnoff but the quick summary and review makes it intriguing.
It really is an interesting book. I hope you’ll check it out! Thank you for your feedback!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

daydreaming reader wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 19:49 I think plot certainly sounds interesting. I love trusty animal friends, and I definitely want to know what happened to Emmy a well as the other kids before her. Thank you for the great review.
Thank you for your feedback! I enjoyed the book, and the plot was definitely interesting. I hope you’ll check it out!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Allyseria wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 07:27 What a very interesting book! I loved the Harry Potter series and almost every book with that style, so I think I'm going to like this one. I especially like reading about parallel worlds :P
It sounds like this is just the book for you! I hope you’ll take some time to read it or listen to the audiobook. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”