Featured Official Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: Featured Official Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by Rachel Lea »

What a cool idea for a story! I love the fantasy genre so I'll definitely be checking this one out. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

I am currently reading this book and dont love it. I feel like this I one that would be better as a movie or maybe an audiobook (I dont say that often!).

I find Pellucids writing style to be a little hard to follow at times. It's as if she forgets that the reader isnt all knowing as she is about her story and the world she has created.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

J3nni315 wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 19:56 When I first read the description of this book, I was perplexed. I think I still am confused, but this review did an excellent job of explaining the world the author has created. Great review!
The authors writing is a bit confusing! I'm reading it currently and read half of the book before I decided to start over because I was lost lol the second time around it made more sense since I had more information from the later parts of the story, but a reader shouldn't have to do that!
Littlest3one
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Littlest3one »

The premise of this story is promising; the idea of a parallel world directly affecting and being affected by ours is somewhat compelling. However, the style of writing is almost confusing, and the author seems to impart a great deal of information and yet hardly in any substance in the same number of pages.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I just started reading this for a review and I think it is a cool idea for a story! I love the fantasy and fiction genres so I'll definitely be finishing this one. Congrats on BOTD!
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

The idea of a parallel world to ours is intriguing, and even more when you have a number of people presumably getting lost for no apparent reason. Something changes, however, when Will returns back home. This will make an interesting reading.Thanks for the review.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

Sounds like a really cool story the way it sets up a parallel universe. Disappearing people sounds like a fun mystery too, though it seems like something that has been paired with alternate universes a bit too much. I feel a more unique mystery would improve the premise. Of course, I’m sure it’s spectacular enough that Harry Potter fans will be mesmerized by the tale. Great review!
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
Cheryl12
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl12.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by Cheryl12 »

At the age of two, a twin brother and sister went missing for quite some time. Only Will Cleary returned home in style while his sister Emmy Cleary could not be found.

"The Crystilleries Of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid is one of the young adult mystery stories where the parents kept searching for their daughter every day. Also, Will dug for clues to search for his beloved sister, Emmy.
After many years of search, Is Emmy still alive? The readers are yet to find out later.

C.McDermott (Ms.)
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid is a fantasy, and I love fantasy books. I liked the theme very much. I want to know the whole story. Congratulations on #botd.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
HansonThoughts
Currently Reading: The Attuned
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansonthoughts.html
Latest Review: Hidden: Nistar by Batya Casper

Post by HansonThoughts »

It's more white noise with this book. It reeks of hoary ideas and many of the commonplace, so-so tropes of the fantasy genre. It is a hard sell for me. There is not much in the way of make-believe without artistic license, and in this book, it is lacking.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I am not into this genre, but it sounds like the audiobook is a great way to go for this book to get the full effect. Thank you for your review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by e-reeder »

I've been intrigued by this book for a while. It seems like such an interesting concept. I like that the brother goes in search of his sister. The premise is fascinating and I can’t wait to read this book.
johnben11
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by johnben11 »

Interesting and intuitive review, did a great job at fully recapturing the relevant information, summarized.
Tahahiro23
Currently Reading: Legacy
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Tahahiro23 »

The Crystilleries of Echoland, is a whole new take on the fantasy genre. For me it's a welcoming breath of fresh air and I have to say that it was able to keep my attention, I couldn't pull myself away from this book. So I am rating it a 4 out of 4 and would recommend those who are looking for something different then look no further.

From the very start it has a way of pulling the reader's attention and really keeping a tight grasp on it. With a young boy, Will, a wondrous story unfolds as he tries his hardest to find his twin sister, Emmy, who disappeared suddenly ten years before. He often questions his father, but never gets a clear answer. He asks his mother about his sister and tries to give them suggestions in ways to find her, but it often goes unnoticed. It's almost as if his family is frozen in time, perhaps in ways that they don't remember. But is it by choice to try to recover the sadness of losing their daughter? Or are there other forces at work and they are still looking, but don't know have the proper means to be able to search for her.

Will, filled with determination, brings up an interesting prospect of a glowing plant, known in this story as the 'waterweed.' He believes that since his pets were able to bring him back with it when he had gone missing at the same time as his twin sister, than why couldn't they do the same for her? The only confusing part to all of this though, is what is it that makes this plant glow? And what does it truly mean, can it really help him and his family find his sister, and why does it only glow around his faithful pets of ten years?

Together with his pets, this special plant, and a interesting book from his father's library he sets off for an exhilarating and danger filled journey to not only find his sister and bring her back, but also to perhaps find his place in a very confusing and new world. However, when his pets turn out to be 'Echoes', it makes the story itself even more interesting as it takes a turn to an unknown realm.
OliviaLouise
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivialouise.html
Latest Review: Pipo's Flag by Vic Cabrera

Post by OliviaLouise »

I reviewed the audiobook. I loved this one! It’s such a wonderful fantasy adventure story. It reminded me a little of Harry Potter. The premise is so unique and the magic is great!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”