Official Review: How to train A wild puppy dog name Manley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Official Review: How to train A wild puppy dog name Manley

Post by Sicily Joy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How to train A wild puppy dog name Manley" by E Lloyd Kelly.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Manley is a sex-crazed divorcee or as he refers to himself, a puppy dog. Manley’s perspective on relationships with women is changed when he meets Libby, an ambitious college student with a good heart. A romance quickly develops between the two but Manley’s secrets and Libby’s overprotective family stands in the way of their happy ending.

I love romantic comedies in both movie and book form. Therefore, I was excited about the premise of How to train A wild puppy dog name Manley. First, I was happy to read a book about a romance with a West Indian main character. I believe that the representation of couples of color in romance novels is important and I like reading about cultures different than my own. Secondly, I thought the plot had a lot of potential for classic romance comedy complications. Manley's various dealings with current and past lovers plus his secret nightlife were perfect opportunities to put Manley into some humorous, and compromising situations. However, the end result was not humorous and frankly not romantic.

The biggest problem with the book was various errors. There were grammar, syntax and punctuation mistakes. There were many awkward and confusing sentences throughout the book. There were hyphens, commas and colons just thrown around carelessly. For example:
She did wake up well
enough to open up the door and let me in
when I got there, was mighty happy to have
the Rotti and drink too, all of the red-eyed
sleepy-look, quickly dissipated into a wide
awake and alert Ms. Mira, name-calling me:
sweetheart, darling baby.
The writing style was unsophisticated. The overly casual way it was written made Manley sound very immature. For instance, Manley thinks to himself that “ A perky pair of breast, just a tad on the small side but a proper mouthful for someone like Mr. Puppy dog here to nibble on”.

The immaturity of Manley and the way he talks about his sexual partners makes the book unromantic and unsexy. When Manley reflects that “ The thumb and forefinger meanwhile were concentrating on the nippled spouts.”, I wondered if the author had used any female beta readers. In fact, by the end of the book, I was doubting that he had used any beta readers of any gender.

Another reason the book lacked romance or humor was that there are inappropriate, unhealthy and downright abusive sexual encounters in this story. This would not have been a problem if the writing was sophisticated enough to deal with these controversial issues. However, I couldn’t tell if E Lloyd Kelly was even unaware of how unhealthy Manley’s sexual encounters were.

The sloppy writing affects all the characters as shown by the dialogue between Manley and other characters (who strangely speak in the exact same way as Manley). For instance, “Mira swallowed hard, "I am in deep doodu,"she said to herself.”

The dialogue in this book doesn’t only sound bad, it is confusing since there are the only rare usages of quotations marks and often there were no line breaks between changes in speakers. The overall formatting of the PDF version is unprofessional. It includes no page numbers and the paragraph formatting was inconsistent.

With that said, my biggest frustration with the book is that Kelly had a lot of good plot ideas. On the surface, there were some interesting character dynamics, especially around Libby’s family life. But, those parts of the story are lost in the mix to the huge amount of backstory around Manley and his family that mostly leads nowhere. That backstory took over so much of the book that Libby and Manley didn’t actually spend much time together. Therefore, their romance didn’t feel believable or earned.

With all the errors and clumsy writing, I am confident this book wasn’t professionally edited. It reads like a decent draft of a novel. However, since I believe the book wasn’t polished enough for publication, I can not recommend it to anyone. Therefore, I have rated this a 1 out of 4 stars.

How to train A wild puppy dog name Manley
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sisou's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I think you got it right when you said the writing is sloppy. I'm not sure how you got through it, after reading that sample I think you are a miracle worker.
This is a great review! Thanks :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a warning sign and it is better that this book should be edited first before others get to read it. Thaks for the honest review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

This sounds infuriating, I am impressed that you made it through the book!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I hate that you were disappointed by this book. It really does sound like it could be a cute book, but needs a lot of editing and maybe some slight plot adjustments. Thanks for your honest review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Congrats on your perseverance in reading this book. Without doubt, I have to pass this one.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I considered reviewing this book, and after reading your review, I'm really glad I didn't select it. The sloppy writing alone is a turn-off. Thanks for your honest review!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I am sorry you had to go through with this book and be courageous and patient enough to write such an honest and thorough review. Thank you for the enlightening insight.
Keevan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keevan.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Keevan »

Wow! This book sounds horrible. I would have never made it through. Good job on your thorough review. I will be sure to never pick this book up.

Thanks
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

I agree, the book sound horrible and the shown error makes it look so unprofessional. It is really hard to even think of reading it. Thanks for the review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I wonder why some writers invest time and other resources to write and publish material that is half baked! Thanks for your honest review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This book has gone to the dogs.

I admire your tact and grace in writing the review for this awful book. Based on your description, Manley isn't manly at all!

And the author thinks the book is for young adults. Mama Mia! Even I, now old and hopefully wise, find the vulgar language offensive.
Sicily Joy

Post by Sicily Joy »

Miriam Molina wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 07:27 This book has gone to the dogs.

I admire your tact and grace in writing the review for this awful book. Based on your description, Manley isn't manly at all!

And the author thinks the book is for young adults. Mama Mia! Even I, now old and hopefully wise, find the vulgar language offensive.
Thank you for your comment.

Likely the author thinks it is appropriate for young adults because he cuts away from any explicit sex scenes and uses "softer "language to describe the fondling. But it comes off as immature. Plus, the age group of characters isn't young adults. The story would do better as a full-fledged romance with mature sex scenes to attract adult romance readers.
Sicily Joy

Post by Sicily Joy »

Cotwani wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 00:54 I wonder why some writers invest time and other resources to write and publish material that is half baked! Thanks for your honest review.
Thanks for your comment. Yes, it reads like he was in a rush to get in published. It is unfortunate since if he had taken the time to give it to some beta readers it would have likely been a much better book. Of course, good books not only sell better, they help the author's brand.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This is a book with warning signs. Authors need to do more when editing is concern. Good job on writting a great review for a slopy book.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”