Official Review: Losing Normal by Francis Moss

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Official Review: Losing Normal by Francis Moss

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Losing Normal" by Francis Moss.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Losing Normal by Francis Moss is an exciting sci-fi adventure for young adults. Alex Rinato has high functioning Asperger’s syndrome; he has a fantastic facility with numbers and an amazing memory. The downside to these talents is that he needs everything to be normal. Change of any kind upsets him, and the world is about to change drastically. Calliope, a technology company, has produced an automated entertainment system run by an AI called Sophie. The films and series created by it prove to be utterly addictive and many people are now doing little more than just sitting and watching TV. As Calliope expands and sets up huge screens in public places, the majority of the public is reduced to little more than zombies. Even worse, Calliope is now expanding into education, but Sophie has identified a problem. People whose brains are ’different’ or damaged are immune to Sophie’s siren call. The race is on to shut Sophie down before can ’fix’ Alex and people like him who want to break Sophie’s stranglehold on the population.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was exciting and fast-paced, and the narrative switched regularly between Alex and Sara, his gifted but decidedly unorthodox friend. There were also short clips from the Calliope system logs, indicating that all may not be well there either. The characters are likeable and human and I enjoyed the way Sara would try to make things ’normal’ for Alex so he could function during the confusion and change. I also liked the way the resistance was run from bookshops; an allegory for the modern world where an escape from the evils of technology is to be found in books and libraries.

There is quite a high body count in the story, it’s not graphically described but adults and children die in fires or are spirited away to somewhere terminal. I found the technobabble sometimes went over my head, especially towards the end, but it was probably meant to as Sophie was doing battle with brilliant super-nerds.

There wasn’t anything that I disliked in the content, but the book failed in the editing. There were missing words, for example, ’the farmhouse might under’ rather than ’the farmhouse might be under’. There were superfluous words such as ’I hope the data is be undamaged’, and there were apostrophe problems such as ’a trucker’s motel’ rather than ’a truckers’ motel’. Lucinda Clark was twice referred to as ’he’, and some of the men had feminine ’blonde’ hair.

It is such a shame about the lack of editing because otherwise, I might have awarded the book 4 stars. If I could, I would give it 3.5 stars, but as I can’t, I am giving it 3 out of 4 stars.

This book will appeal to young adults who enjoy exciting technology based sci-fi.

Losing Normal
View: on Bookshelves

Like Helen_Combe's review? Post a comment saying so!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I like your statement about the evils of technology being escaped through books and the library. This strikes me as an original plot with the combination of Aspergers and AI. There are familiar elements put together in a fresh way. Great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Interesting idea - TV taking over the world. It pretty much rules most of my world anyway. Sounds like an interesting book :)
Great review, Helen!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

stacie k wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 00:09 I like your statement about the evils of technology being escaped through books and the library. This strikes me as an original plot with the combination of Aspergers and AI. There are familiar elements put together in a fresh way. Great review!
Thank you. :tiphat:
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Bianka Walter wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 01:35 Interesting idea - TV taking over the world. It pretty much rules most of my world anyway. Sounds like an interesting book :)
Great review, Helen!
Thank you very much :tiphat:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

There seem to be an ultimate battle between Alex and Sophie, thanks to Alex's disorder. I wonder what was the outcome. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 05:09 There seem to be an ultimate battle between Alex and Sophie, thanks to Alex's disorder. I wonder what was the outcome. Thank you for your review!
It was! Thank you :tiphat:
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Oh my, this book has me very intrigued. I am hoping Alex can shut Sophie down already. lol. After reading World, Inc. I am finding I like these kinds of stories. I am beginning to think a high body count is to be expected in any kind of society portrayed in these kinds of novels.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Britty01 wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 09:32 Oh my, this book has me very intrigued. I am hoping Alex can shut Sophie down already. lol. After reading World, Inc. I am finding I like these kinds of stories. I am beginning to think a high body count is to be expected in any kind of society portrayed in these kinds of novels.
Indeed, not much of a dystopia if everybody is happy. Thanks for commenting.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like an amazing read. I love the futuristic aspect and the interesting characters. Great review.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

teacherjh wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 14:06 This sounds like an amazing read. I love the futuristic aspect and the interesting characters. Great review.
Thank you :tiphat:
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Your review has encouraged me to add this book to my "want to read" shelf. The fact that the main character has highly functioning asperger's syndome caught my attention, but the parts about Sophia make this a must-read! Sophia is already a real technology, so I can't wait to read this author's take on it! Thanks for your review!
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Britty01 wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 09:32 Oh my, this book has me very intrigued. I am hoping Alex can shut Sophie down already. lol. After reading World, Inc. I am finding I like these kinds of stories. I am beginning to think a high body count is to be expected in any kind of society portrayed in these kinds of novels.
I like dystopias, too. I was not all that impressed with World, Incorporated, though. I'll have to take a look at your review.

:techie-studyingbrown:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was exciting and fast-paced, and the narrative switched regularly between Alex and Sara, his gifted but decidedly unorthodox friend. There were also short clips from the Calliope system logs, indicating that all may not be well there either. The characters are likeable and human and I enjoyed the way Sara would try to make things ’normal’ for Alex so he could function during the confusion and change. I also liked the way the resistance was run from bookshops; an allegory for the modern world where an escape from the evils of technology is to be found in books and libraries.
Another great review, Helen. I've read a couple of books where the main character has Aspberger's syndrome. If done right, it can really give a unique point of view.

I'll keep this one in mind. :tiphat: :tiphat:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Hey, there is actually an AI out there called Sophie whose actions are pretty similar to those of a human. I guess this book is based on her. Thank you for an excellent review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”