Official Review: Koolura and the Mayans by Michael Thal

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Koolura and the Mayans by Michael Thal

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Koolura and the Mayans" by Michael Thal.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Koolura and the Mayans is the third installment in Michael Thal’s fantasy series for young adults who enjoy a healthy mix of action, magic, and adventure.

Koolura and her bff (best friend forever), Leila, are heading to Mexico for Koolura’s dad’s wedding. There, they explore the ruins at Monte Alban, where they find a hidden room and a decoolerizer (psychic absorber) that takes them back in time.

Rather than the Mayan civilization one might expect, Koolura and Leila end up in a 714 AD inhabited by Mayans enslaved by Aquarians, aliens from the planet Aquari. After accidentally using her psychic gifts in front of the Mayans, Koolura is believed to be their god. Can she and Leila set history right and send the Aquarians back where they came from before it’s too late?

I came into this book without having read the first two. I don’t normally like to pick up in the middle of a series, but I didn’t have a problem here. Enough of the previous stories was described to alleviate most of my confusion. Perhaps some things would have made more sense if I’d read the first two books, but my reading experience wasn’t hindered without them.

Koolura is an interesting protagonist. She’s quick-thinking and bright, while still having typical teen girl thoughts, like wanting to look cute. The character that really made this book stand out for me, though, was Leila. She has hearing loss and uses hearing aids. I love coming across any kind of diversity in young adult books, and I feel like disabilities are so under-represented in contemporary literature. Leila’s deafness was so believable. She and Koolura use American Sign Language to communicate. At one point, Leila’s hearing aids are crushed, and she’s forced to nudge her way into conversations she can’t hear. The author handled it all so well without bogging down the story. I won’t spoil, but I also loved how ASL became an essential part of the plot.

While I liked Koolura as a character, her psychic powers baffled me at times. At the beginning of the book, she’s struggling with teleportation. Try as she might, Koolura can’t land exactly where she wants to every time, even when she pictures her destination first like she’s supposed to. This led me to believe Koolura had to be able to picture where she was teleporting to in order for the power to work. Later, though, Koolura teleports past closed doors she’s never seen beyond or into secret rooms she didn’t know were there. I found myself scratching my head every time Koolura teleported. Koolura also had a plethora of other powers. Some were explored more than others, and I just wasn’t sure if she was supposed to be great at all of them or what.

I was fascinated by the Aquarians, too. Far from the water-based lifeforms the name led me to expect, they are humanoids with very advanced technology. Remi, the bad guy’s son, has been hunting for a planet his people can go to that will support them. Since they aren’t allowed to destroy sentient lifeforms, Remi comes up with the brilliant idea to occupy a planet back in time before its sentient lifeforms develop. This struck me as such a neat way to use time travel. Why the Aquarians went to Earth when it was inhabited by Native Americans, I’m not sure, but Remi’s idea is still a solid one, in my opinion.

I rate Koolura and the Mayans 3 out of 4 stars. The Mayan culture backdropped by aliens makes for an interesting story concept. Toss in the original idea about time travel, and this book definitely deserves more than 2 stars. The confusion about Koolura’s powers, though, keeps me from giving it four. The book is very well-edited and just waiting for boys and girls between the ages of 9 and 14 who love fantasy adventure to pick it up. The book would also appeal to older readers who want a feel-good adventure through a unique world. As for me, I look forward to seeing what the prequels have to offer.

Koolura and the Mayans
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Wow. Mayans being enslaved by aliens is a new one for me and it definitely makes this book stand out. It sounds a little far out there for me, but I enjoyed your review. Thanks.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Mayans and aliens--that's an original premise, but the plot does seem a little over the top. I appreciate your interesting review.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This sounds like a fun book. I'm a little surprised the target audience is so young, but that won't stop me. I love the combination of Mayans and Aquarians. Very unique.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

If you have been watching documentaries on the Mayans, you will see that it has been said that the Mayans got their knowledge from aliens. Therefore, this story is not too far-fetched. Nice review.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I am definitely too old for this book, but still gonna read it. I understand your point about Koolura's powers however, as that would normally bother me, so thanks for the notice as well as the great review!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”