Review by ifra -- Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ifra
Favorite Book: Sidhartha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifra.html
Latest Review: Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco

Review by ifra -- Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco

Post by ifra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco is the first book of the series where the story is set in the fantasy of the magical world known as Azmantium. It is a magical world of different magical species including fairies, dragons, elves, shifters, healers, and oracles. In this magical and wonderful fantasy, a girl named Lara lives who is an orphan but bestowed with some special magical power. She is not only unaware of her own powers but ignorant of her true magical self unless she discovers it herself. The loyal residents of Azmantium consider her savior of their world who is likely to overpower the evil forces surrounding them.

Lara is an enthusiastic girl who is very inquisitive about nature and magic at the same time. She was raised in an orphanage by caretaker Yelena along with her foster sisters. She has a very loving and caring nature and is prone to loyal friendship and relations. Despite the fact that she strongly yearned to join the magical school, she is unaware of her magical powers. These powers are, in fact, a tightly kept secret by Yelena, Aunt Arwen, Healer Thomas and Elina. It was, however, very pleasant to see many powerful female characters running the theme of the story and act as a protective shelter to defend Lara from the adversities which were to be faced by her alone.

My overall experience of reading the book was very good and I enjoyed the story as I swapped through pages. The strength of the protagonist and powerful females made the story very interesting. The overall picturesque description of the magic school was also very enchanting.

However, the book gave me a sense of nostalgia for the Hogwarts in Harry Potter. Therefore, in this respect as an avid reader of fantasy novels, the book failed to make a strong and unique impression on me. Moreover, the pace of the story was very fast for a fantasy novel. Had it progressed at a small pace with more events, the story would have been more subtle. Another major flaw was an abrupt turn of events and transformation of Lara into a dragon. In the last chapter of the book, it was a very surprising event without any solid background of the turning events. Moreover, there were many grammatical and spelling errors in the book which reflects the poor quality of editing and proofreading.

Overall, I would rate the book 1 out of 4 stars due to apparent plagiarism in the book, poor plot of the story, and spelling errors. Though the quality of the book is far from the standards of Harry Potter or Lord of the rings, yet it is recommended for middle school kids with a strict warning about the poor grammar and spelling mistakes. For avid readers of fantasy like me, the book is not recommended at all.

Dragon Born
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ifra's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”