Official Review: Dewey: The Silent Boy by Brant VIckers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Dewey: The Silent Boy by Brant VIckers

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dewey: The Silent Boy" by Brant VIckers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dewey won't talk. It's not that he can't; he just won't. He's in the foster care system and has been labeled as autistic. Nobody is really sure where he came from, but he hasn't said a word as long as he can remember. Now he's in the special education classroom, and his foster parents are determined to milk the system for whatever they can. But it doesn't seem like anyone actually cares about Dewey. One day Dewey pushes things a bit too far and ends up in trouble with the law. Dewey decides to run away, but where will he go? What will he do?

Dewey: The Silent Boy by Brant Vickers is a very realistic account of a troubled young man. A young man that has been mislabeled and perhaps even failed by the system. A young man who is still trying to figure out who he is and why he matters. It's a story that, while not true, very well could be.

The book itself is really split into two halves. In the first half, we get to see what the modern education system is like, especially when it comes to special education. The author, having worked with special needs children himself, writes this portion of the tale very accurately. It was heartbreaking and eye-opening to see what goes on in classrooms and foster families in these situations. The second half focuses on Dewey's journey both physically and metaphorically. This is where Dewey really learns who he is and what he is willing to fight for. It was well-written and helped me to understand Dewey more as a person.

On a personal note, my nephew is autistic which is the reason that I picked the story up in the first place. I had sympathy for these children from the beginning. The first half of the story is a very accurate portrayal of how teachers have their hands tied by the system. The second half of the story was a bit different than I was expecting but still very enjoyable. It has a bit of a twist to it that I didn't see coming. For a book that was very character driven, I admired the author for adding something unique to the mix.

As for the writing itself, the overall flow of the story had a great rhythm that continued to draw the reader in ever deeper. Just when you are beginning to wonder about Dewey and why he is the way he is, the author throws a morsel out for you to feed on. In this way, he pulls you along learning about the characters slowly, leaving enough mystery to keep you intrigued. However, I did spot more than 10 errors in a book of under 100 pages. These were not overly distracting, ranging from missing words to homonym substitution. But, there were enough to lead me to believe that this book has not undergone professional editing.

All in all, this is a book that I enjoyed reading. Dewey is an interesting young man that has a compelling story. Due to the editing issues, though, I rate Dewey: The Silent Boy a 3 out of 4 stars. Since this subject is so near to my heart, I have a hard time not giving a blanket recommendation that everyone should read the story. That is my opinion, but to be more specific, those who deal with children with special needs in any capacity would enjoy this story. It would also be good for anyone who enjoys character development as Dewey is an enthralling protagonist. Lastly, I would recommend it, as well, for young adults. The lesson here is that there is usually more going on than meets the eye. We should respect others even when they are not like us. I have to thank Mr. Vickers for bringing these issues to light.

Dewey: The Silent Boy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

What a heartfelt and heartwarming review! Indeed, every person is unique who is worthy to be valued and respected. Each of us has our own personal battles; a random act of understanding and compassion such as what you've displayed could make that much-needed difference.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Raju Chacko
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raju-chacko.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Raju Chacko »

A very nice review of children with special needs. Children with special needs, many of whom are autistic, need our understanding, encouragement, help, and accommodative support to break free of their difficulties. They are just like us, except for having some underdeveloped or problematic faculty/faculties. We can understand them (while they cannot fully understand us), so we can help them if we care. Dewey's story portrays the challenges of children with special needs. The book is sure to attract the attention of each of one of us who care for lives less fortunate than ours.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Espie wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 01:13 What a heartfelt and heartwarming review! Indeed, every person is unique who is worthy to be valued and respected. Each of us has our own personal battles; a random act of understanding and compassion such as what you've displayed could make that much-needed difference.
Thanks for your comment. It's definitely a book worth your time.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

rchacko wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 04:05 A very nice review of children with special needs. Children with special needs, many of whom are autistic, need our understanding, encouragement, help, and accommodative support to break free of their difficulties. They are just like us, except for having some underdeveloped or problematic faculty/faculties. We can understand them (while they cannot fully understand us), so we can help them if we care. Dewey's story portrays the challenges of children with special needs. The book is sure to attract the attention of each of one of us who care for lives less fortunate than ours.
Very true. Dewey has challenges for sure. He is not necessarily autistic, but the book still sheds light on those issues. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Nidaconhh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nidaconhh.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Nidaconhh »

Interesting review! I love to read a story that related to education and special needs. Each kid has their own pace. Eager to know what happen to Dewey :)
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Certainly sounds intriguing. I love the promise of character development, but personally, I don't like talking so I was already sold due to the title. Thank you for the review!
Last edited by daydreaming reader on 04 Aug 2018, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

This is a wonderful and compelling review. I might have to look into this one.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Great review. I've always been curious about autism. I know a teenage boy with it and his intelligence amazes me. I'd love to read this book, regardless the errors. Thank you.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
hardex123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by hardex123 »

interesting book, becausei like reading review about education
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Nidaconhh wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 11:09 Interesting review! I love to read a story that related to education and special needs. Each kid has their own pace. Eager to know what happen to Dewey :)
It's definitely interesting and not what you would think. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

daydreaming reader wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 11:49 Certainly sounds intriguing. I love the promise of character development, but personally, I don't like talking so I was already sold due to the title. Thank you for the review!
Talking can be a pain sometimes. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

AmySmiles wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 12:51 Great review. I've always been curious about autism. I know a teenage boy with it and his intelligence amazes me. I'd love to read this book, regardless the errors. Thank you.
The errors aren't too bad. It's definitely still worth a read. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like an enjoyable read that also shines line on the autism spectrum. Thanks for the recommendation!
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This sounds like a good book to bring awareness to the subject of special needs kids. Your description of Dewey at the beginning was so sad! It’s not that I don’t want to know more about the topic, but kids suffering makes me feel so bad that I have a hard time dealing with books like this. Your review makes me actually so grateful that I have not had to deal with this in my life. My heart hurts for those who do. Thank you for this insightful review. I might take a peek later as my reading obligations are a stack!
Everything happens for a reason...

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”