Official Review: Reality Gold by Tiffany Brooks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Official Review: Reality Gold by Tiffany Brooks

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Reality Gold" by Tiffany Brooks.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reality Gold by Tiffany Brooks is a surprisingly amazing book for young adults. It is relatable, thought out, well-written, and an absolute page-turner.

All teenagers go through a phase when they feel like they don’t fit in. Some emerge as leaders and trendsetters, but most feel like outcasts. Riley felt like an outcast. An unfortunate situation at school left her suspended and the butt of online jokes. All attempts at fixing her reputation just made it worse. She lost her friends, was forced to be homeschooled, and her relationship with her parents was becoming more and more strained. So, when the opportunity to join a reality show similar to Survivor presented itself, she jumped at the chance to show the world who she really was, especially since the show was to be filmed on an island well-known for hidden treasure. Her godfather had died searching for this treasure, and she already had many of the clues.

Twenty teenagers between the ages of seventeen and eighteen are flown to a set of islands in Brazil. They are broken into two teams that will compete in challenges. At the end of each challenge, players vote on who will be eliminated and sent home. In their spare time they are encouraged to search for the treasure. Riley quickly realizes these shows are not what they seem. There are so many crew members, and cameras are constantly in your face. Privacy is hard to come by, and people aren’t always as they seem. Mysterious things are also happening, including cameras being damaged and equipment going missing. Is it because of the alleged curse on the island or is someone intentionally sabotaging the show?

With so many characters in this story, I thought it would be hard to keep everyone straight, but Brooks does a great job of creating unique and memorable characters. We learn a little about everyone while still recognizing the emphasis on certain people. Each character develops based on his or her circumstances, and I feel the progression and growth seem natural. The camaraderie of shared experiences leads to unexpected friendships.

There is an element of mystery throughout the book that was very unexpected. Once you realize that someone is potentially ruining things around the island, you start trying to put things together based on the clues the author has already set out. You wonder if things like food poisoning happened naturally or if someone made everyone sick on purpose. I found myself pointing fingers and contemplating motives. It was so satisfying when the answer was revealed. All the clues added up without the result being too obvious. Brooks planned it out perfectly.

I found a few mistakes, but they were few and far between. I feel this book was professionally edited and well-organized. I liked the added map and picture at the beginning of the book. The descriptions of these in the text were sufficient, but seeing them for myself helped me better understand the difficulties of treasure-map decoding. There isn’t anything I could suggest to make this book better. I absolutely loved it!

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this to readers ages fifteen and up. There is some underage drinking and talk of sexual situations, but otherwise nothing inappropriate or graphic. This book has romance, drama, mystery, adventure, and a little comedy so I feel there’s something for everyone within these pages. I cannot wait for Tiffany Brooks’s next book!

Reality Gold
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like bb587's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds so interesting! I love when a bullied teenager has a chance show everyone she is better than them.
The survivor type reality show sounds very cool too. This premise is awesome, so I’m so happy it delivered 🙂
Great review
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting! So many people like to watch shows like this that I bet this would be popular as a book as well. I would love to see what they mysteries are and who isn't wait they seem like. All in all, it sounds like a great book. I'll have to look into it. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

bb587 wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 08:14 With so many characters in this story, I thought it would be hard to keep everyone straight, but Brooks does a great job of creating unique and memorable characters. We learn a little about everyone while still recognizing the emphasis on certain people. Each character develops based on his or her circumstances, and I feel the progression and growth seem natural. The camaraderie of shared experiences leads to unexpected friendships.
I am so happy I checked out your review. I am hooked and want to read the book. It is challenging to execute successful character development. So many books miss on this front. "Memorable characters" are, I think, what we all want in a good book. Thank you for your beautiful, comprehensive review. I enjoyed it.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Considering the popularity of reality shows, I'm sure this book will resonate with many, especially in the YA range. The unexpected mystery you described appeals to me. Excellent review!
Bookworm39
Favorite Book: To Tempt a Knight
Currently Reading: to seduce a knight
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm39.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Bookworm39 »

This sounds like an interesting book. You did a great job on this review.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Romance, drama, mystery, adventure, and a little comedy? Now that sounds like my kind of book! I actually can't wait to read the book - your review has me so hyped up. Thank you for the review, I thoroughly enjoyed it. :D
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Thanks for your review. Sounds like a great book for teenagers, and maybe some adults too! I'll be recommending it to my daughters.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

Glad you enjoyed your read. There is nothing worse than suffering through a book. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”