Official Review: Cut Both Ways by Sello Moroe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Cut Both Ways by Sello Moroe

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cut Both Ways" by Sello Moroe.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set in the country of South Africa, Cut Both Ways by Sello Moroe presents a romantic account that chronicles the lives of two self-driven individuals while sharing some of South Africa’s culture and expressions.

Apile is a young lady full of determination and a bit of pride. When we first meet her, she is working for Higher Calling Crusaders (HCC) alongside Tso, the authoritative founder of the organization, in a bid to counter the moral decay that is destroying future leaders among university students. When Rebecca, a fellow leader at HCC becomes pregnant outside of marriage, it becomes apparent both she and Steve, her partner, have to be expelled from the organization for a year since they have broken some of the establishment’s cardinal rules. This does not sit well with Apile and she decides to quit. The storyline picks from here taking different forms.

A wonderful feature of the book is the way the narrative is broken at certain points in the plot to include other accounts that are different from the main story. As Tso struggles to find a way to express his growing love for Apile, we get to learn of another young woman called Naka who seems to have caught the eye of a certain young man. Their journey of love is not without its struggles as feelings of jealousy sometimes plague the relationship. Other divergent accounts are also interwoven in the book besides that of Naka.

Cut Both Ways is also a quick read. The twists and turns it incorporates make it seem longer than it actually is. In the beginning, I thought the book would only follow Tso and Apile’s story, but my interest grew after finding other short stories. These came with additional strands of suspense especially found in Naka’s story. The author keeps the plots brief, mostly touching on what really builds the storyline.

One thing I did not like was the lack of originality in Tso’s and Apile’s romance story. The idea of Tso impersonating another person and dragging a whole board of professionals along to support his plan seems a bit unrealistic to me. Further, other accounts especially those written by Tso contain many aspects of emotional abuse especially in the case of Loloki, another character in one of the sub-plots. The characters’ abusive natures are not presented in a way as to portray the behavior as inappropriate and destructive.

Cut Both Ways is a romance book that touches on social issues and readers interested in this genre should consider reading it. Everything put into account, I rate it 2 out of 4 stars. The book contains some interesting aspects but this is mostly marred by the inauthenticity of the narrative.

Cut Both Ways
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's always nice when a story incorporates more than just a nice plot line but also deals with social issues. However, this one sounds like it needs a bit more of a clean-up before I would enjoy reading it. It's just too bad that the author didn't incorporate more originality. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

One thing I did not like was the lack of originality in Tso’s and Apile’s romance story. The idea of Tso impersonating another person and dragging a whole board of professionals along to support his plan seems a bit unrealistic to me. Further, other accounts especially those written by Tso contain many aspects of emotional abuse especially in the case of Loloki, another character in one of the sub-plots. The characters’ abusive natures are not presented in a way as to portray the behavior as inappropriate and destructive.
I wouldn't like this aspect of the book either. I want to see the abusive behavior addressed for what it is. Thank you for your honest review.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

Thank you for your review. I'm not keen on emotional abuse, and I don't know if this is a genre for me, so unfortunately I'll take a pass :)
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

Romance books are my thing. Brief plots and suspense will encourage me on to read the book.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

I am glad for your honest review. I would find it hard to read a book that does not correctly portray the hardships of emotional abuse. On top of this, a story that lacks originality is not one that interests me.
Thanks for the review!
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

Thanks for your review. I am a romance fan and i just might add it to my to-read list.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”