Official Review: The Whistlebrass Clock People

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Whistlebrass Clock People

Post by Cristina Chifane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Whistlebrass Clock People" by Briar Lee Mitchell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Whistlebrass Clock People is book 3 of Jack Keely and Briar Lee Mitchell’s Whistlebrass Mysteries, reminiscent of Stranger Things, the TV movie series. Published by Permuted Press, the novel could be easily read as a standalone and is definitely hard to put down. Teenagers will absolutely love the heart-pounding ride on a terrifying adventure with just the right dose of suspense and supernatural.

Located in Northern Vermont, Whistlebrass is the typical isolated and misbegotten town where everybody knows everybody. This summer, the town folks are buzzing with excitement about the restoration of the marvelous 100-year-old tower clock in the central square. While they are busily preparing for the rededication ceremony, a peculiar crime wave is plaguing the town.

The Whistlebrass Whisperer headlines scream of one incident after another. Two rat catchers sent to check the town’s sewing system disappear without a trace. People report strange break-ins where robbers make off with household gadgets instead of money, jewelry or other valuables. Jocelyn Harbinger used to tutor students from the Arcayne College. She is now found dead, supposedly murdered during one of the robberies. Suspicions soon hang over Pike, the orphan teenage troublemaker. Unless his friends do something to prove his innocence, he will be forced to leave town.

In the prologue, a narratorial “we” welcomes the readers with the warning: “Summer in Whistlebrass can be murder.” Henceforth, the story is skillfully told by a third-person narrator who changes perspectives from one character to another and adds new pieces to an intriguing puzzle. I simply loved the narrator’s style punctuated with humorous moments of respite amidst the growing avalanche of gripping adventures.

The protagonists are a group of teenage friends who throw themselves in the heart of danger with all the enthusiasm and recklessness of youth. Each of them is wonderfully portrayed and plays a specific role in the overall jigsaw of the plot. Pike is a modern version of Mark Twain’s Huckleberry Finn. He had his share of troubles in the past and half the people in town think he is some kind of hoodlum. In reality, his greatest gift is his psychic connection with animals. Another key figure in the story is Casey Wilde, a big art and science nerd who uses his brain and knowledge to solve the mystery of the little mechanical creatures terrifying the townsfolk. Bobby Bamberger is mainly driven by his impulses for action whereas Bootsy, his twin sister, is the undisputed queen of the local middle school and the object of Casey’s infatuation.

Apart from the protagonists, the secondary characters, the setting descriptions and the dialogues all contribute to the general atmosphere of authenticity. I could actually feel the rhythm of the town. Here’s Miss G., Arachne Greenwebbe, the town’s eccentric widow who has inherited her father’s passion for exotic spiders. There’s Mitch Kestrel, the Whistlebrass detective who is no longer surprised by the bizarre incidents in town. Morton McMoreland is not only the owner of the local pharmacy, but also an aspiring opera soprano and candidate in the town’s talent competition. Dolly Pratt is the typical chit-chatter and busy body. Even the magnificent tower clock becomes a character in itself and turns into a threatening omen of the things to come. Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock.

I wholeheartedly rate The Whistlebrass Clock People 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it primarily to teenage readers with a penchant for adventure and mysteries. The supernatural elements never become too gloomy or creepy to deem the book inappropriate for young readers. Professionally edited, the novel also excels in narrative style as well as character and plot development. Adults with a young spirit and a passion for solving fantastic enigmas could confidently choose the book too.

The Whistlebrass Clock People
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like cristinaro's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

There are definitely a lot of mysterious crimes to be solved in this story. All the distraction is not good for the restoration of the clock ceremony. Thank you for an enlightening review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I like your comparison to "Stranger Things." I'm sure the YA audience will love it. Thanks for your interesting review!
Neobovo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Neobovo »

The suspense in the book in order to unveil the captivating mysteries, makes it a book worth reading. Nice work of art. :tiphat:
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

A “growing avalanche of gripping adventures” sounds like an exciting read, especially for the young adult audience. I enjoyed your review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

crediblereading2 wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 15:56 There are definitely a lot of mysterious crimes to be solved in this story. All the distraction is not good for the restoration of the clock ceremony. Thank you for an enlightening review.
Everything is more or less related to the magnificent clock tower dominating the town's central square. It somehow reminded me of the presence and meaning of Big Ben in Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway. Thanks for reading.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Cecilia_L wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 17:03 I like your comparison to "Stranger Things." I'm sure the YA audience will love it. Thanks for your interesting review!
You're going to laugh, but I liked watching Stranger Things too, so I guess adults will enjoy this story too. The novel is indeed well written and I loved the authors' writing style. I always enjoy reading books which also make me laugh and there are also funny moments in this novel in spite of all the tension and suspense.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Neobovo wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 19:18 The suspense in the book in order to unveil the captivating mysteries, makes it a book worth reading. Nice work of art. :tiphat:
There is action and mystery and there's also some investigative work involved. In addition, the supernatural elements are not far-fetched and are well integrated in the story. It's worth reading indeed.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

stacie k wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 00:57 A “growing avalanche of gripping adventures” sounds like an exciting read, especially for the young adult audience. I enjoyed your review!
We've got mysterious disappearances, robberies, kidnapping, murder, but nothing seems out-of-place, gross or violent in any way to affect a potential YA audience. On the contrary, the story line actually satisfies teenagers' love of action and adventure. Thanks for reading!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love a narrator that can insert humorous moments into the story. This was a lovely review, and it sounds like a great book. I'm not sure how I can't pick it up after this glowing review! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This really reminds me of Christopher Pike's old works, which I really enjoyed. I'm definitely intrigued by this, thank you for the amazing review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

cristinaro wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 02:44
Cecilia_L wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 17:03 I like your comparison to "Stranger Things." I'm sure the YA audience will love it. Thanks for your interesting review!
You're going to laugh, but I liked watching Stranger Things too, so I guess adults will enjoy this story too. The novel is indeed well written and I loved the authors' writing style. I always enjoy reading books which also make me laugh and there are also funny moments in this novel in spite of all the tension and suspense.
Oh, I've watched it too! :lol2:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This would be a great addition to my school Library.
Uma Kumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uma-kumar.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Uma Kumar »

This book sounds interesting. I would definitely like to read it
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 09:49 I love a narrator that can insert humorous moments into the story. This was a lovely review, and it sounds like a great book. I'm not sure how I can't pick it up after this glowing review! Thanks.
Thank you. I also love a narrator who can skillfully use irony. In this case, the author has imagined a narrator endowed with a solid sense of humor who makes the most of the potentially funny characters and situations in a small community town.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”